Chapter 39) Silent Vigil

KateSeleneMelody3OCs

Selene's POV:

I just kind of drifted there in shock for a bit, unsure of whether or not this was some sort of trick, some sort of nightmare. Eventually, when I came to the conclusion that the Octopod had in fact been stolen, Tweak and I both swam back to shore.

I knew instantly we had to tell the others, and that we had to at least join the organization for a while. I was very, very mad about this, and the two of us went back to the roof of the Reefs Hotel to relay the bad news, our rage and fear thicker than the dense fog.

It seemed as though Captain Barnacles was trying not to snap at Stephan, from the way they were standing, and my older brother seemed a bit too pleased with himself for my liking. I walked over to the two and cleared my throat. Their attention was turned to me.

"We've got a problem, Captain-" I began.

"You've got several," Stephen interrupted, and I glared at him.

"I don't think this one actually concerns you too much. Why don't you go and do your job with your family, and I'll do my own job with mine." I shot back. He shrugged and walked away.

Barnacles turned to me, an aggravated sigh escaping his lips. "What seems to be the-"

"They stole the Octopod, Barnacles. I bet that's where they're keeping our friends." I explained.

The polar bear's jaw dropped, and his eyes shone with a rage that was rarely seen from the normally gentle Captain.

"They're keeping our crew mates- our friends- hostage in their own home?!" He growled, furious at the very thought. I nodded sadly.

"We'll have to team up with my brother I'm afraid," I said, stressing the word 'brother'.

My boyfriend sighed in response. "It's the best bet for them..." He agreed. But neither of us liked the idea, I could tell.

"Barnacles...what was it you were going to ask me, before the airships arrived?" I asked, curious. His paw flew to his pocket as he looked at me for a second. He then sighed and pecked my cheek.

"Nevermind that, Selene. Now's not the right time, anyway." He replied.

isobeljones2000

Tunip's POV: Stephan was walking back over to our diminished crew again, he now the only one left on the roof that had flooded out from the four giant ships, save a couple of uniformed workers that were levering Lupo's plane onto the nearest airship, using a crane. He had heard Selene's reluctant confession, and had an odd smile on his face. "The Captain here was just saying your crew weren't looking to join our organisation," he said smoothly, obviously sensing the hostility bristling in between the siblings. Now they stood together, I took a moment to notice the slicked-back ivory fur of Stephan's glossy coat, compared to the dishevelled, unwashed appearance of his younger sister. He held himself with a confident air, one that I had noticed in my soul mate's poise before. Still, Selene drew back from his easy warmth, so I did too.

"Selene is also captain," Barnacles took the opportunity to inform him. "We're co-captains, actually." He didn't like the smirking wolf either, I could tell.

Stephan raised his eyebrows, but chose to stay on-subject, eyes fixed on Selene. "From what I overhear, you're reconsidering."

Selene hated to admit it, but we all knew we didn't have much choice. Although we would all prefer to stay as we were as a crew, with our Captains calling the shots, I was also painfully aware that just being the Octonauts might not be enough any more. We had lost three of our members, and now our ship. Happy coincidence that we had caught one villain, yes, but there were still three out there, and this secret agency would have resources that we just didn't have any more.