Chapter 33) Sticking to the Plan

isobeljones2000

Dashi's POV: It was tantalising, being this close to Shellington for the first time in nearly half a year, and yet not able to rush into his arms and never let go like I passionately longed to. I stared through Dani's eyes instead, watching his facial expressions alter and shift like the rays of the rising sun, wishing I could stroke the soft chestnut fur of his cheek with my own paw and know that my boyfriend was finally happy again.

At least I could talk now. For the last six months I had been trapped in the very back of Dani's head, only able to watch and think, but not to communicate... yet more of Lupo's cruel tricks. But for some reason, as Dani apparently grew stronger, her personality properly asserting itself in my body, the more awareness I seemed to have as well. It didn't make sense, but I was glad of it nonetheless.

Shellington would have helped me figure it out.

Still, I understood why Dani wasn't telling the sea otter that she could communicate with me. I didn't like it, but I did understand her position. She didn't want him to look at her again and just see me.

Plus, the grief-stricken scientist had questioned her until both of our heads hurt on what memories she remembered, whether she could feel my presence, how far she was from remembering her entire past.

And wiping me from existence.

A month.

Just one month of her false memories left to fit themselves back into her head, until she was the only Dashi inhabiting this body. I knew this, because I had the ability to see her memories as if they were my own, sift through them like I was reading a novel or flicking through some of my photographs.

And that was the other reason I knew why Dani didn't want to tell Shellington about me.

She had had her own experience of love.

And, if she truly was me, I knew how unwilling she was to have to let go of that, to admit that none of that ever really happened in the first place.

I liked Dani. Sharing a head with someone did tend to help you see someone's point of view, after all.

But it was soured by the fact that only one of us could live in this body in the end.

And we both knew who Shellington would side with.

It was all so difficult.

Selene's POV:

As Shellington came back with Tominnow in his arms, both of them shaking, Barnacles and I went over to them. Captain Barnacles took one look at the little Vegimal and shook his head.

"I shouldn't have pushed her..." He muttered.

Shellington and I both shook our heads.

"She probably overexerted herself, but she should be fine." Shellington replied.

"Besides, now we have more information on where to start looking for the others." I added.

As I was speaking, Tominnow began to stir, muttering something in her semi-concious state. Whatever it was must've surprised Shellington, as his eyes widened.

"Could-could you repeat that, Tominnow?" I prompted slightly. She muttered again, louder this time. Shellington gasped, and all the Vegimals in earshot fainted.

"Jumping Jellyfish! This- this is terrible!" The sea otter exclaimed. Tweak ran over. "He'd better be okay!" She shouted at no one in particular.

"Well? What did she say, Shellington?" I prompted him, getting pushed to my limits.