Honeymoon Phase

Almost all of us know the magical weird feeling of falling in love with a person we admired the most. Chemically speaking, when we fall in love the level of serotonin, a chemical that is responsible for maintaining mood balance, drops and production of a stress hormone, cortisol increased, thus we become self-conscious to ourselves because we do not want to appear ugly or stupid in front of that good-looking person. Then, when we luckily captivated their love on us and successfully build an intimate relationship, a lot of blissful-feeling hormones are released by our brains such as dopamine (good-feeling hormone), oxytocin (the love hormone), and vasopressin (a hormone associated with long-term bonding). Over time, when we know more about that person and becoming comfortable with each other, serotonin and cortisol level return to their normal level, changing the romantic atmosphere into nothing exciting. As if, seeing our special someone as a typical boring person. We become less needy and obsessive. It seems like we are not the person we used to be madly in love with our partner, which we might jump to a conclusion that we are falling out of love.

However, the euphoric honeymoon phase can be brought back through 'horizontal refreshment' suggested by the researchers. Through that it boosts the oxytocin and dopamine level, turning the magical blissful feeling on again. Just make sure to use protection so that you will not bring out a devil, disguised as an adorable angel and might destroy you and your partner's dreams. Good luck and enjoy.