Skimping on Sleep followed by 'Catch up' Harms Your Brain

When the deadline of passing your big project is getting closer, you deprive yourself of sleep to work on it and prefer to work in the middle of the night because that time is when creative ideas come and even plan of compensating your sleep loss with a sleep marathon after passing the project. But according to research, that kind of habit hurts your attention and creativity especially, if you are a young adult who tackles a lot of major projects.

Staying up late to finish a project became a practice done by some students and faculty members, which they considered a normal part of their way of designing a project and preparation for their future careers. But this practice is not good, to begin with, because irregular sleep affects executive attention, an intense focus on planning, making decisions, correcting mistakes, and dealing with novelty. Also, it has a negative impact on creativity. In their study, they found that the students who practice the said habit, their cognition declined thus affecting attention and creativity. Hence, young adults are recommended to sleep between seven to nine hours each day to stay healthy, live longer, and be able to focus and think creatively without impairing their cognition.

But you can still do projects at night if you have no brain to harm it.