Alcohol Actually Lowers Body Temperature

Sometimes, when you feel cold or feel the coldness of your romantic partner, you grab a bottle of liquor to warm you up but science says it is better to get a jacket and taking a sip of hot choco to warm your body than drinking alcohol because it only lowers your body temperature.

Alcohol is a vasodilator, meaning it sends a flood of messages to the brain saying it is hot so blood vessels dilate or widen to allow the warm blood from the body core temperature to redistribute the heat to the surface of the skin. Hence, making you "feel warmer" temporarily. But drinking in a cold environment can lead to hypothermia (the condition of having an extremely low body temperature) because you are losing your core body heat. It overrides the body's defense mechanism against cold temperature, which is constricting blood vessels to minimize blood flow to the skin and the ability and tendency of shivering to maintain the warm body core temperature. In fact, people who get flushed quickly from drinking a small amount of alcohol drop their core temperature faster.

Therefore, better drop that alcohol, drink a hot choco and find someone else to hug to warm you up in a cold environment.