3] tomorrow's ours

tomorrow's ours- lights follow

YOUR POV

"Why are there so many chickens on Kauai?" You asked curiously through a mouthful of ice cream, now sitting beside Hoseok in the open grassy area of the shopping center. You'd been comfortably sitting there with him for a while. You kept finding yourself surprised at how, already, you didn't feel too awkward around him anymore. He was so easygoing, so kind...You were at ease, and given the situation, it felt a bit strange to feel that way. Regardless, you were perfectly content spending your first evening in Hawaii with him.

"After Hurricane Inki back in the 90s, a bunch of domesticated chickens got released all over the island. The people here didn't mess with them, and they have no natural predators, so they kind of just spread out and are everyone now," Hoseok explained, leaning back and supporting himself with his hands, and tilting his head back, the waning sun washing over his already tanned face.

"Oh, that makes sense. They definitely aren't shy of people," you chuckled, watching as Kaylen broke off pieces of the waffle cone to give to the chickens to eat.

"People feed them here all the time," Hoseok laughed, "If you haven't noticed all the chickens are fat."

His laughter was like music to your ears, managing to elicit a smile from you. "That's true."

"Sunset is going to begin soon," he murmured, his eyes trained up at the sky that slowly starting to become stained with streaks of pink and deep orange. "Wait, Y/N!" He exclaimed suddenly, sitting completely back up.

"What?" you said with surprise at his sudden burst of excitement.

"This is your first day in Hawaii!"

"Yeah?"

"That means you've never seen a Hawaiian sunset before! We need to go to the beach! Now!" He was beaming, his smile large and incredibly bright. "C'mon, get up!" He hopped up to his feet, offering you his hand and pulling you up off the ground.

☼☼☼

He left Kaylen with Kai, at first lightly holding your hand to pull you in the right direction. You ran beside him along the flower-littered sidewalks, happiness rising in your chest as you did so. He was giddy and excited, urging you to hurry up so that you would make it on time.

It was a strange light feeling; freely down the sidewalks with a boy you barely knew, in a place that was unfamiliar, the wind billowing through your hair without you having a single care about how it looked. You kind of let yourself go in that moment, literally just going with the flow of nature without the weight of anxiety or the fear of unknowns inhibiting you. Back home, running off with a random boy would've never been something you'd allow yourself to do. But here, the pace of life was different. Time felt different. Even the air felt different. And because you finally felt disconnected from home and judgemental eyes, you felt okay about pushing your limits.