19] the beginning of the end

~HOSEOK'S POV~

~HOSEOK'S POV~

Kai: Can I come over and talk to you?

Hoseok sat up in bed, surprised and concerned about the text he'd just received because he knew a conversation with Kai was likely going to turn negative really fast. It was late into the night after the party had ended and everyone had gone home.

Hoseok: Fine.

Kai: I'll be there in a few.

Hoseok rubbed his eyes and got out of bed, throwing a hoodie on and going out toward the living room so he could hear when Kai knocked. After receiving reassurance from Kaylen, Hoseok definitely no longer felt guilty about what had happened, he just felt angry at Kai for blaming him so quickly. After years of friendship, Hoseok deserved better than that.

A few smooth knocks arrived at the front door just a couple of minutes later as Kai lived right next door. Hoseok took a deep breath before opening the door, preparing himself to be lectured and yelled at by Kai. He was having second thoughts about letting him come over; why should Hoseok have to subject himself to that?

"Hey," Kai said quietly, "Can I come in?"

"Sure," Hoseok stepped away from the door and gave Kai space to walk inside. "Let's sit, I guess. Unless your visit is going to be short."

"I won't keep you long, but yeah, let's sit down," Kai said, his voice still quiet and a bit raspy sounding. Like he'd been crying or something.

Kai's demeanor wasn't super rigid or angry seeming, so Hoseok relaxed a little, feeling a little more confident that perhaps this conversation wouldn't turn into a fight.

"So, what's this about?" Hoseok asked as he sat down, Kai sitting down on the couch across from him.

"I'm sorry," Kai started slowly, "I'm really sorry."

Hoseok remained silent, waiting for Kai to continue and explain.

"I've been horrible to you, and I'm sorry. You didn't deserve that at all," Kai said, looking down at the ground, "I was caught up in my emotions and I needed someone to blame so I just cast it all on you because I didn't want to have to blame myself. It was terrible of me, and I'm so sorry because you're my best friend and I never want to make you feel bad about yourself. Especially when you didn't do anything to deserve me being upset at you."

Kai's apology completely caught Hoseok off guard, but he could tell how sincere Kai was being. As angry as Hoseok had been, he wasn't one to hold grudges. He hated feeling mad at people, and he always wanted things to be resolved to the best they could. So, Kai's apology was enough for Hoseok to accept, and move on from the situation.

"I understand...I accept your apology," Hoseok said. He didn't say 'it's okay' because Kai did, but Hoseok did feel that he should forgive Kai. They were best friends after all, and he never wanted to lose that.