Chapter 1

"... From this moment on, you'll be known as Firemoon. Starclan honors you for your faith and selflessness," Fernstar mewed before resting her chin on Firemoon's head, and she gave her a lick on the shoulder. Then, Fernstar moved to Leafbird, "Firemoon, you never gave up on Leafpaw, and you've always had faith in your sister," Fernstar mewed as Firemoon raised her chin proudly.

"Leafpaw, from this moment on, you'll be known as Leafbird. Starclan honors you for your compassion and kindness," she mewed and rested her chin on the tabby's head and the new warrior gave her shoulder a lick.

Fernstar stepped back. "We welcome you as full warriors of Thunderclan!"

The clan exploded into yowls and shrieks.

Ravenpaw reared up onto her hind paws and joined the chorus, "Firemoon! Leafbird! Firemoon! Leafbird!"

She felt a rush of pride for her best friend as Firemoon touched noses with her sister.

Then, when the clamor had died out, Ravenpaw bounded over to her and ran her cheek along her shoulder. "You did it! You're a warrior!" she purred as Junipercloud and Sootfall fussed over Leafbird. Firemoon nodded.

"How does it feel?" Ravenpaw asked.

"Wonderful," Firemoon answered. "It'll be your turn next," she added.

Ravenpaw nodded and muttered, "I'm really not excited to be forced to sleep with Stormpaw, Wildpaw and Brackenpaw without you."

Firemoon flicked her ears with her tail. "Well, I have to sleep with Frogleap, Badgerblaze, Adderfang and Rainsong, and I can't say I'm excited either."

Ravenpaw butted her in the shoulder and purred with amusement.

"We'll be great warriors together," Firemoon purred.

"Hey, Firepaw!" Stormpaw yowled before coming bounding over. "Congratulations," he mewed, halting in front of them.

He was taller than both of them, his muscles toned. Firemoon snorted, "Don't try to be funny," she mewed. "I'm a warrior now, and I can order you to do anything if I want to."

He cuffed her lightly around the ears. "Want to come hunting with Wildpaw, Brackenpaw and I?" he asked, angling his ears towards the entrance where Wildpaw and Brackenpaw were practicing their hunting pounces.

Firemoon shook her head. "No, sorry, Stormpaw. But I promised to go out with Ravenpaw," she told him.

Stormpaw glared at Ravenpaw before bounding over to Brackenpaw and Wildpaw. "Let's go," he mewed before leading them out into the forest.

Ravenpaw glanced at Firemoon, confused. "Are we going out hunting?" Firemoon never said anything about going out to hunt.

Firemoon shook her head. "No, I just wanted to get rid of him."

Ravenpaw shrugged before bounding over to the fresh-kill pile. "Supper?" she asked.

Firemoon nodded. "I would like a nice, fat rabbit," she remarked, trotting after her.

Ravenpaw sorted through the pile before dragging out exactly what Firemoon had asked for. "Warm and juicy."

The sky was flushed with pale pink the next morning as the dawn patrol set out. Drops of dew glittered on every blade of grass and sparkling cobwebs spread across the bramble thickets. Ravenpaw's paws dragged as she forced herself through the forest. She hadn't slept anything last night, feeling uncomfortable not having Firemoon close to her.