Chapter 11

Crowpaw bounded onto Windclan territory with her mentors flanking her.

Fernstar was at the head of the patrol with Icefeather and Oakshade by her side. Hailstorm, Iceflower and Hazelwhisker were discussing Leafbare with their heads close together. Iceheart, Dewslip, Rainsplash and Petalshine were just in front of Crowpaw, Jayfeather and Featherheart giggling and joking. Stormsky and Firemoon were walking side by side. The pale grey tabby gently stroked his tail down Firemoon's back. Ravenheart snorted with annoyance. Sunflame padded a tail-length behind the black she-cat, ears pricked, eyes watchful. Nightpaw was telling Lionpaw and Shinepaw a story while Bluepaw and Wingpaw chattered like a pair of starlings.

Crowpaw suddenly felt cold water seep over her paws, sending a shiver running through her. Fernstar had led them onto the marshy shore at the edge of Riverclan's territory.

She glanced aside to see Wingpaw and Bluepaw staring down into the water. Then, Wingpaw swiped at it and Bluepaw leaped back with a squeal of excitement.

"Hey!" Stormsky snapped. "Cut it off. This is a gathering for apprentices and warriors. Not kits."

Wingpaw and Bluepaw rolled their eyes before reluctantly trotting back towards the patrol.

Finally, Fernstar halted among the snaking roots of the fallen tree that crossed the water between the shore and the island. The scents of Riverclan and Shadowclan were fresh on the bark, so they must be there already.

Fernstar jumped up nimbly and wove her way between the stumps and knots until she reached the other side. One by one, the others followed.

Crowpaw stood back as Featherheart leaped after Jayfeather. "Aren't you coming, Crowpaw?" he asked, steadying himself.

Crowpaw looked around herself. Icefeather was waiting, face calm and expressionless. She glanced up at Featherheart again. "Of course." Just as she leaped up and clawed her way up onto the trunk, the fresh scent of Windclan drifted from the shore. Crowpaw scanned the edge of the water, but saw no sign of them.

"Is everyone ready?" Fernstar mewed as Crowpaw and Icefeather jumped down onto the beach. The cats nodded. Fernstar signaled with her tail and the patrol headed into the trees.

Crowpaw watched as Nightpaw's black and white pelt disappeared into the darkness, shadows swallowing him up. Her paws tingled with excitement as she headed after her brother.

"Crowpaw!"

She stopped in her tracks and looked at Featherheart as he bounded over. "Stick close," he warned her. "There's a lot of tension between the clans, and some cats might not take the truce seriously."

Crowpaw snorted as she followed her mentor through the undergrowth. "Yeah, like someone's going to attack a medicine cat apprentice!" she muttered sarcastically.

Featherheart twitched an ear as they padded through the pines. The smell of their sap filled Crowpaw's nostrils as she treaded on the spongy needles.

Finally, they walked into the clearing. Riverclan and Thunderclan melted into one, sharing gossip and happily talking. Only few from Shadowclan and Windclan wove their way through the other clans, purring and dipping their heads while asking for news. But while they did that, their clanmates stayed together with watchful, narrowed eyes.

Crowpaw rolled her eyes, pelt slightly bushed up. Featherheart lead her across the clearing. But before they could go to the medicine cats, Rosepaw stopped her. Specklepaw was behind her. "Hi, Crowpaw!" Rosepaw mewed delightfully. "We're going to to talk to the warrior apprentices, want to come with us?"