Chapter 7

Frostpaw's heart pounded in her chest. The clan was silent for a few heartbeats that felt like moons. Tension cracked in the air, and lightning seemed to explode when the cat took a deep breath before meowing, "It's good to be home."

The cats began to wail and shriek with fear. Frostpaw pressed up to Mossypaw as Bluepaw backed frantically away with fear. Ravenheart stood stiff while Fernstar stared at the newcomer.

"Timberheart," Cloverpool then whispered when the cats had quieted down a little. The pretty tabby stepped out of the crowd. "Is that really you?"

The tom took a deep breath before nodding unsurely. "Yes," he mewed. His voice sounded a little husky yet deep.

Oakshade and Swiftstrike exchanged glances before the brown tom stood up and walked unsurely after his sisters.

Fernstar shook her head in confusion. "How can that be?" she whispered. "You were dead. We buried you. I was there myself when we closed your grave." Her voice cracked a bit. Coalfrost was about to step towards her but Brackenfur put his tail in front of him. Coalfrost glanced at him but Brackenfur only warned him with his eyes.

Timberheart nodded. "Yes, I died. I was killed in the great battle," he mewed before turning his head to his clanmates. "But Starclan sent me back."

Cloverpool and Oakshade exchanged glances. "But why?" Oakshade asked.

Timberheart looked at his brother before glancing down. "Because I came to soon," he mewed and looked once again at the crowd, fixing his gaze on Ravenheart who looked away from his eyes. "There is a task I ought to finish."

"What task?" Fernstar asked, her gaze searching her brother's face.

"I'm not sure yet," Timberheart answered. "But I will find out soon enough, and I'll know once the time comes."

"Timberheart?"

Frostpaw turned at the whisper. Ivypool's eyes were two giant moons as she gazed at her lost son.

Timberheart took a deep shaking breath. "Mother."

Ivypool made a noise that sounded like a mix of happiness, fear and sadness. She looked around herself before rushing through the crowd and pelting across the clearing before weaving herself around the dark brown tom. "Welcome back, Timberheart."

Frostpaw bounded after Hollytuft who was at the head of the patrol. They had left soon after Timberheart had returned, and were now on a hunting patrol.

The warriors' pelts were still bushed out, eyes wide with shock. Frostpaw exchanged a glance with Wingpaw, who just shrugged.

They stalked quietly through the woods until Hollytuft took a deep breath. "I guess we should try and catch something," she murmured.

Pigeonwing and Sootfall exchanged glances before stumbling into the undergrowth.

Leafbird immediately dropped into a hunting crouch before pushing her way into some bushes, clearly not disturbed by Timberheart's return or the tension in the air.

Hollytuft padded away, tail erect in the air before swerving to the side and pelting after a squirrel that hopped out of a honeysuckle.

Redstorm and Petalshine rushed after her, intent on catching something for the clan.

Wingpaw and Frostpaw exchanged glances. "I guess it's just us now," Wingpaw mewed.

Frostpaw nodded before thrusting her nose into the air and opening her jaws wide. She took in a deep breath. Concentrating on the scents that bathed her tongue and the roof of her mouth, she began counting the scents she could smell. Stale fox, was here maybe a couple of days ago. Mouse, rabbit and frogs. She opened her eyes again. Frogs? They shouldn't be in this part of the territory. They're not even close to Shadowclan!