Chapter 21

"Do you see her?" Bluepaw whispered.

Ravenheart shook her head. "No, nothing."

Firemoon's heart pounded in her chest. "What do you think Leafbird was talking about?" she whispered in her friend's ear.

Ravenheart glanced back at her as they crept through the forest. "I'm not sure I want to know, to be honest," she murmured.

Her words sent a chill running down Firemoon's back. 

"Have you caught her scent yet?" Mossypaw asked.

Firemoon shook her head. "No," she murmured.

"Wait, here," Ravenheart then whispered.

Firemoon led Bluepaw and Mossypaw silently towards her. "She's been this way," she whispered, pushing aside some bracken to reveal heather nectar on the ground and on the bracken.

Firemoon opened her mouth and took in a deep breath. Her heart took a leap and she let her gaze run over the other three she-cats. "She's not alone," she whispered.

"Great Starclan, what is she doing now?" Ravenheart growled before striding through the bracken, her powerful shoulders forming a path for the more slender Mossypaw, Firemoon and Bluepaw.

Mossypaw was the most lithe of them, Ravenheart the most muscular, Firemoon the sturdiest and Bluepaw the smallest, yet she had the longest legs.

"Stop!" Mossypaw then hissed.

The four she-cats froze in their steps. "What is it?" Bluepaw whispered.

"Can't you hear it?" Mossypaw asked.

Firemoon strained her ears until she could hear the faintest sound of voices.

Ravenheart frowned, and Firemoon could feel stiffness spreading into her limbs.

"Follow me," Ravenheart growled before putting on a brisk pace.

Bluepaw looked back at Mossypaw before hurrying after Ravenheart. Firemoon took a deep breath before bringing up the rear.

"I have to go, they'll start wondering about me soon."

Firemoon's eyes widened when she recognized Crowpaw's voice. Ravenheart pricked her ears and slowed down, eyes suspicious.

"Please, just stay a little longer."

Firemoon's heart sank. It wasn't just any cat. It was a tom, and she had this terrible feeling that Crowpaw was breaking both the warrior code and the medicine cat code.

Ravenheart raised her tail, indicating for them to stop.

Firemoon silently stalked towards her best friend. Together, they crouched and stretched out their necks.

In the shelter of some pines, with the moonlight shining down at them, stood Crowpaw and Timberhawk, rubbing their heads together.

"I have to go," Crowpaw then meowed. "Not only my clanmates are prowling through these woods, but Shadowclan too. This is your territory."

Timberhawk sighed. "I know," he murmured. "But this is the first chance I get to share time with you in my own territory."

"And the last one," Ravenheart growled before stalking out of the undergrowth.

"Oh no," Firemoon breathed before bounding after her, with Mossypaw and Bluepaw on her heels.

Timberhawk and Crowpaw whipped around in surprise. Immediately, Timberhawk shoved Crowpaw behind him, bared his teeth and spat at them.