Chapter 9

Cloudbreeze's tail brushed Leopardpaw's cheek. He was only a few paw steps ahead of her.

"Stay close," he whispered, eyes glittering.

The patrol was moving slowly, carefully picking its way through the forest. Shadowclan could be hiding anywhere, waiting for the Thunderclan cats to pass by. They had split into three patrols when they had reached the old twoleg nest. Badgerblaze was leading one and Redfang the other. Leopardpaw was in Fernstar's patrol.

"Shadowclan are probably trying to trick us," Badgerblaze had growled.

Fernstar halted and glanced back at the black and white tom. "What do you mean?" she asked, eyes narrowed.

"They defeated our patrol. They know we'll go straight to the twoleg clearing, and they'll be waiting in cover, hiding until we come. Then, they'll ambush us when we think they have gone," Badgerblaze mewed.

Redfang looked thoughtful for a moment before nodding. "That makes sense," he murmured.

"Yes, they have probably gone deeper into our forest and are waiting for us in cover," Ravenheart mewed, padding closer to them.

Fernstar narrowed her eyes before looking around her. "You may be right," she murmured. "Alright, let's split up."

Leopardpaw was snapped back into reality at a muted hiss from behind her. "Ow!"

She glanced over her shoulder at Goldenpaw. "Are you alright?" she hissed.

Goldenpaw nodded. "I trod on a thorn," he muttered, inspecting his paw.

Leopardpaw looked back at the patrol as they made their way through the forest. Glancing at Goldenpaw's paw, she carefully grabbed it before inspecting it closely. Then, she quickly pulled the thorn out before spitting it out. Goldenpaw let out a muted yelp of pain. "Sorry!" Leopardpaw hissed softly before flicking her tail and bounding after the patrol with Goldenpaw limping on her heels.

She sniffed the air carefully when they caught up on the patrol.

"Smell anything?" Spiderleap murmured.

Rainsong shook her head. "No, not a whiff," she growled. "What are these mange-pelts even trying?"

Goldenpaw and Leopardpaw exchanged glances as Fernstar stopped in a large glade close to the old twoleg clearing.

"Stay close together," Fernstar warned, then she carefully started to make her way out into the glade.

But as she was walking out of the glade, a loud yowl sounded from behind them. Leopardpaw swung her head around as Shadowclan erupted from the forest like a flock of ravens.

"Ambush!" Fernstar yowled, shouldering her way through the throng.

Leopardpaw leaped aside as Fernstar charged into the Shadowclan cats and she disappeared altogether in a mass of pelts.

Coalfrost yowled in fury as Pinenose and Sparrowtail nailed him to the ground. Junipercloud shrieked in pain as Yarrowfern and Juniperleaf raked their claws through her pelt. Sootfall was about to leap towards her when Slatefur and Clawstrike rammed into him. Spiderleap let out a strangled cry as Nightpaw, Hollypaw and Beetlepaw swarmed over him. Cloudbreeze lashed out with his hind legs, sending Bugtail flying, but Marshstep and Tigerstripe were quick to force him to the ground.

Rainsong let out a furious roar as she reared up onto her hind legs. She lashed out at Thistlepaw, sending him flying. Thornpaw leaped at her back. She twisted her neck and somehow managed to grab the side of his neck before flinging him away and landing on four paws again. "Take her down!" Goldengrass ordered as he stood on the top of a tree trunk, tail lashing. Ravenheart glared up at him before leaping up beside him and lashing out at him.