Chapter 15

Featherpaw blinked open his eyes in the gloom of the apprentices' den. Eyes adjusting, he saw the blurred shape of his mentor in front of him. He hauled himself to his paws. "Patrol?" he asked, yawning.

"No," Nightstorm replied grimly.

Featherpaw pricked his ears when he sensed panic and unease in the camp. "What's going on?" he whispered, eyes wide.

Nightstorm turned around and flicked his tail. "Ripplespots is missing," he mewed as he padded towards the entrance again.

Featherpaw looked around himself. Snowpaw was trotting out of the den, tail tip twitching nervously. Shinepaw and Finchpaw were murmuring something to each other in hushed voices as they padded past Stonepaw who was just blinking sleep from his eyes.

Featherpaw shook scraps of moss from his pelt before bounding after the other apprentices as they made their way out of the den. He narrowed his eyes against the bright sunlight and looked up at the bright blue sky. Twitching an ear, he realized that it was sunhigh already.

Fernstar was talking to Icefeather, Coalfrost, Redfang, Nightstorm, Pigeonwing, Swiftstrike, Sootfall and Timberheart in a circle just below the highledge.

Junipercloud, Willowfern and Hazelwhisker were all gathered around the frantic Cloverpool. Her yellow eyes were wide with fear for her son. "Relax, Cloverpool," Hazelwhisker mewed. "Remember your kits," she added and placed a paw on her womb.

Firemoon, Ravenheart, Iceheart, Dewslip, Rainsplash and Sunflame were gathered around Petalshine and Twigtail. Petalshine was nodding and shaking her head as they asked questions, but Twigtail sat beside her with his shoulders hunched, eyes wide and ears flat to the back of his head.

Featherpaw turned his head as Fernstar yowled from the highledge. "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather here beneath the highledge for a clan meeting!"

Daisy led Whitewing stiffly out of the elders' den. Brackenfur and Thornclaw stumbled after them. Cloudtail and Brightheart stayed behind, too frail and old to step out.

Leafheart sat down beside Pigeonwing, Rainsong and Frogleap. Iceheart led Ravenheart, Twigtail and the others over. Hazelwhisker and Willowfern nudged Cloverpool forward as Junipercloud bounded over to Sootfall and Coalfrost, whispering something to them.

Wildpaw scrambled to halt beside Leopardpaw, Brackenpaw and Flowerpaw. Wingpaw and Frostpaw hurried towards them.

Bluepaw sat down beside Mossypaw, glaring as their sister went to sit by the other apprentices. Blizzardpaw, Goldenpaw, Nightpaw, Blackpaw, Moonpaw and Lionpaw joined them. Featherpaw scrambled forward and hurried over and sat down beside Moonpaw and Lionpaw.

Shinepaw, Finchpaw and Snowpaw crouched side by side, gazing up at Fernstar as she began.

"As all of you know, Ripplespots is missing," she mewed. "No one has seen a trace of him, but judging by his scent trails, he left late last night. The fact that he isn't back yet worries us all." Fernstar glanced down at Cloverpool before letting her gaze travel over her cats. Featherpaw felt a shiver run down his spine when her eyes met his. "Is everyone sure that they didn't see anyone leave?" Fernstar mewed.

Webwhisker and Squirrelheart exchanged glances before the grey and white tom rose to his paws. "I think I saw him last night," he mewed.

Cloverpool whipped around, eyes wide with hope. She opened her mouth to say something, but before she could, Webwhisker mewed, "I thought I'd dreamt it at first. I saw someone walk into the nursery, and it was Thunderclan scent so I didn't worry. Thinking back now, I'm sure it was Ripplespots."