Chapter 13

"Ravenheart, wake up!"

Ravenheart jerked awake as Leafbird shook her roughly.

"What is it, Leafbird?" Ravenheart yawned before rolling over. "Ravenheart, you have to wake up," Leafbird mewed.

"Why?" Ravenheart grumbled.

"Fernstar is hosting a clan meeting," Leafbird told her.

Ravenheart opened her eyes groggily before sighing and hauling herself to her paws. The other warriors were piling out of the den.

Ravenheart slowly padded after them. "Paws still asleep, Ravenheart?" Sunflame joked as she tumbled out of the den.

"As asleep as you'll be after I'll finish you off if you won't behave yourself," Timberheart growled as he padded past them.

Ravenheart's heart leaped in her chest and she bared her teeth. Sunflame padded up to her and gazed at Timberheart with ears pricked. "Who put ants in his fur?" he mewed.

"Who knows?" Ravenheart sighed before turning to Leafbird. "Where's Firemoon?" she asked.

"She took Flowerpaw out for battle training," Leafbird told her as she led Ravenheart and Sunflame over to where the other cats were settling. "She'll be here soon."

Ravenheart flicked her tail. "I hope so." Just as she finished, Firemoon and Flowerpaw bounded into camp. "There they come," Leafbird mewed.

Firemoon had a quick word with Flowerpaw and watched her as the lithe tortoiseshell she-cat bounded over to Hazelwhisker. Then, Firemoon hurried over to Sunflame, Leafbird and Ravenheart. "What's up?" she asked.

"Clan meeting," Ravenheart told her.

Firemoon flicked her tail. "Ah."

They sat down just behind Cloudtail and Brightheart. Ravenheart glanced around until she spotted Leafheart standing outside the nursery with Snowkit, Dawnkit and Finchkit all wriggling excitedly. Leafheart looked fear stricken as she gazed at her kits. "Looks like we're having new apprentices," Sunflame whispered in her ear.

Ravenheart shot him an uncomfortable glance. What about Snowkit?

"We have gathered here because we have three new apprentices," Fernstar mewed with a worried glance at the three eager kits. "Leafheart, bring them here."

Leafheart led her kits across the clearing. Ravenheart felt Sunflame stiffen beside her, and she felt tension and uneasiness spread through the cats like a wild fire.

As the cats parted to let Leafheart and the kits through, they began to whisper.

"Poor little scrap."

"He can't be a warrior can he?"

"He can't talk! He cannot be a warrior."

"Poor mite."

Snowkit was mute not deaf! He can hear everything they were saying! Mousebrains! Their recklessness made Ravenheart's fur fluff up with anger. Poor Snowkit flattened his ears to the back of his head, his blue eyes glittering with worry and shame. Pigeonwing rose to his paws and padded over to touch each of his kits' noses. "Remember that we love you all, no matter what," he whispered.

Ravenheart glanced up at Fernstar as she began speaking.

"Stormsky, you are ready for your first apprentice," Fernstar mewed. "You will be mentor to Dawnpaw. You are a brave warrior and very determined." Stormsky shone with pride as he rose to his paws and padded over to the tabby she-cat. She wriggled her rump in excitement as she stretched out her nose to touch his.