Chapter 3

Crowpaw's heart pounded in her chest. "But I'm a warrior apprentice!" she mewed, eyes wide with horror.

Jayfeather shook his head. "Not anymore," he mewed.

They were in the leader's den with Fernstar, Icefeather, Featherheart, Coalfrost, Hollytuft, Cloverpool and Nightstorm.

Crowpaw began panting in shock and Hollytuft was by her side in an instant. She looked worriedly from Crowpaw to Nightstorm before turning her gaze to Jayfeather. "Are you sure, Jayfeather? Cloverpool has told me that she'll be one of the best fighters in the clan if she becomes a warrior and-,"

Jayfeather cut her off, "Starclan told me that Crowpaw's true destiny is to serve her clan as a medicine cat," he mewed, flicking his tail impatiently. "Leafpool herself came to me last night, and I cannot change Crowpaw's destiny, even though she's a good fighter."

Crowpaw hung her head, feeling as if her chest was splitting in half. "I don't want to become a medicine cat," she whispered, barely feeling Hollytuft as she pressed herself up to her.

Fernstar padded up to them and gently touched Crowpaw's shoulder with the tip of her tail, "You'd be a great warrior, Crowpaw, and I don't doubt it. But Starclan has spoken and they say that you should become a medicine cat, and we cannot change that," she mewed.

Crowpaw stiffened up, feeling emotions building up inside of her. Then, she felt a spark inside, as if courage was taking over the fear and regret. She slowly lifted her head, pushing down all the negative feelings. "If that's what Starclan wants, then that's what I have to do," she mewed, her voice trembling as she forced out the words.

She didn't miss the rush of pride that seemed to fill the den and it was as if the den was stuffed with dead cats as well as living.

"We're with you, Crowpaw."

"Don't be afraid."

"You'll be a great medicine cat."

"Starclan will always stay by your side."

Then, one of them whispered so close in her ear that she flinched, "But don't forget the shadows that are waiting." The voice sounded familiar, and Crowpaw groped for the right cat. Leafpool.

Then, Fernstar looked up. "The sun is setting," she murmured. "The gathering is tonight," she mewed, shaking her pelt. "Icefeather, you can go and tell Willowfern, Badgerblaze, Acornfall, Rainsong, Adderfang, Cloudbreeze, Firemoon, Leafbird, Stormpaw, Moonpaw, Wingpaw and Brackenpaw that they're coming with us to the gathering tonight," she told her deputy. Icefeather nodded before brushing past Crowpaw and heading out into the clearing.

Crowpaw looked at Jayfeather. "Will I be coming to the gathering too?" she whispered.

Jayfeather nodded. "Of course," he mewed.

"We need to tell the clan first," Fernstar mewed, glancing from Crowpaw to Jayfeather and then back at Crowpaw. Then, she padded out of her den. "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather here beneath the highledge for a clan meeting!" she yowled.

Rainpaw, Sunpaw and Stormpaw padded out from the elders' den, Cloudtail, Daisy, Brackenfur, Brightheart and Whitewing following them stiffly. Bluepaw, Nightpaw and Blackpaw stopped tussling and bounded over to the highledge. Leopardpaw, Acornfall, Petalshine, Dewslip and Blizzardpaw then returned, their jaws full of fresh-kill. They dropped it at the pile before hurrying to sit down beneath the highledge. Snowbush, Molewhisker and Hailstorm pushed their way out into the clearing from the warriors' den and wove their way through the cats before sitting down.