Chapter 10

Firemoon thrust a twig through a gap in the new warriors' den. "I still can't believe those mange-pelts dared to attack us," she growled.

Ravenheart looked up from lapping at her wounds. "You don't say," she murmured, flexing her claws before attracting them again.

Three days had passed since Shadowclan had invaded their borders, and the clan was beginning to recover. But the memory still burned in Thunderclan's minds. Firemoon shivered when she remembered Leopardpaw's shrill shrieking when the cats went to sleep the night after the battle. Jayfeather had to test her ribs to see how many were broken.

Leopardpaw hadn't come out of the den yet, but thankfully, Coalfrost had woken up yesterday.

Muscular dark brown frame padded through the entrance of the barrier, and immediately, Ravenheart's pelt bushed out.

Firemoon sighed before dropping onto four paws again. She padded to her best friend as Timberheart dropped a large pigeon on the fresh-kill pile. "Why do you dislike Timberheart so much?" she asked in frustration.

Ravenheart tore her gaze and looked up at her. Their gazes were locked for a few moments until Ravenheart looked away again. "I don't know," she murmured. Firemoon opened her mouth to say something, but Ravenheart spoke before the ginger she-cat. "There just is something about him that makes me feel very uncomfortable. Remember when he came back, and the look he gave me?" she asked.

Firemoon nodded. "Of course I remember."

Ravenheart flicked her tail and looked at Timberheart again as he headed over to the warriors' den on the other side of the clearing. "I just don't like him. It isn't natural that he just came back from the dead," she muttered before pawing at a large beetle that crawled past her on the grass.

Honeyleaf was leading Shinepaw out of camp while the kits of the clan gathered around the elders. Brackenfur was telling them a story about the Great Journey, which was the elders' all time favorite story.

Brackenpaw and Wingpaw were circling around each other while Bluepaw and Mossypaw shared tongues outside the apprentices' den. Cloverpool was grooming Squirrelheart who had moved into the nursery just yesterday, carrying Webwhisker's kits.

Firemoon started to gather leftover leaves and other debris into a pile with her paws. She and Ravenheart had been working all day on the new warriors' den. "I think we're never going to finish building that den," Firemoon muttered as she grabbed up a pile of leaves before stuffing them into a gap in the wall.

She pricked her ears at the sound of approaching paw steps. She turned to see Twigtail halting beside Ravenheart. "Hi, Firemoon," he mewed.

Firemoon flicked her tail and landed on all paws again. "Hello, Twigtail," she purred.

"Do you and Ravenheart want to come hunting with Petalshine, Ripplespots and I?" he asked, flattening his ears to the back of his head.

Firemoon exchanged a glance with Ravenheart. She shrugged. "Yeah, sure, I'm not telling you to stay here and stuff leaves and twigs into a bush," Ravenheart mewed.

Firemoon looked up at Twigtail again. "Yeah, sure. I don't see why not," she meowed.

Twigtail's amber eyes lit up. "Great!" he purred before doing a little skid of excitement and then turning around. "I'll tell Ripplespots and Petalshine!" he called back to them as he bounded to the warriors' den.

Just then, Stormsky walked out of the entrance, and Twigtail just managed to halt before colliding into the short-tempered tom. "Hey, watch it!" Stormsky hissed.