Chapter 1

Melanie sat in her bedroom drawing yet another picture of Taylor Hanson. She had a ton of her drawings of him. (Of all three of Hanson actually.) She could draw him/them perfectly. She knew every curve, every twist. Her room was plastered with drawings from when they were young to now. She wondered what happened. She had watched them go from being typical kids to popstars.

She had lived in Tulsa all her life. She met these three very unique guys on May 6, 1989. Ike was an eight year old know it all. She laughed to herself. No one would think Ike could've been like that. But, oh, if they could've known him back then.
Of course, he had changed. For the better. Or at least that's what she used to think.

And Taylor, a six year old sweethart. Even back then he was a prince charming. He used to always kiss her hand when they'd see each other, and say "Hello my lady. How are you?" As they grew older he started saying, "Hello Beautiful Eyes." She had deep chocolate brown eyes. Deeper and more chocolate-like than Zac's. He was so fun to be with.

And then there was Zac. What to say about Zac. A three year old goofball. Oh, he didn't grow out of his wackiness. Always wanting to make you laugh. Cheer you up when you were down. So adorable.

She herself was only five years old. To her, these boys were just her best friends. Inseparable. Her mother and father were good friends with Walker and Diana Hanson. And it seemed that her parents' only child was destined to repeat such a strong friendship with the three eldest Hanson siblings. Jessica; Ike, Tay, and Zac's younger sister; was less than a year old when Melanie met the three charming brothers. She was a cutie pie and Melanie always wanted to hold her. After all, she had no siblings of her own. And sure, she had three wonderful boy playmates, but a girl. Well, that was different. She couldn't wait for Jessica to grow up enough, so they could play together.

But nothing could ever replace the strong bond she and the three brothers had. Or so she thought.

The years passed by. She watched the brothers try to make it in the music business. Heck, way early on, her parents and her even made the trip with the Hanson family to the different countries when Walker got relocated cause of his job in the oil industry. The brothers were thrilled to have their best friend come along.

Once back in Tulsa, they started singing and writing songs. They came out with two self-released albums. But still no one would help them. They all said it would never work out. Still, Melanie stuck with them. They were still close. She comforted them after each rejection.

But slowly, things changed. At first no one noticed it. They found a manager, Christopher Sabac, and found a record company, Mercury Records. They went off to California to record their first big album. She couldn't go with them this time. Her parents wanted to stay put. And if her parents didn't go, then she couldn't go. She was so sad. Watching them leave.

She never realized what a big change was about to happen.

She had supported them at every single one of their concerts before Middle Of Nowhere. She had the two independent releases. "Boomerang" and "Mmmbop"

Now she stuck the first one in her cd player and pushed play. Sure, Mmmbop, the second one, is what got them signed, but she liked the first one better.

Mmmbop the single was released in March 1997. Instant hit. Then on May 6th Middle Of Nowhere hit the record stores. She gave a wry smile as she remembered the release date of Middle Of Nowhere. May 6th. She had met the brothers exactly eight years earlier.

They stayed friends, but she saw less and less of them. Especially once the whirlwind of promos started. Interviews, performances, etc. Then the only time she saw her close friends was in magazines and on tv. She did get an occasional short phone call from them. And sometimes a letter.

She cried then, cause she finally realized what had happened. They had grown apart. Their friendship had disintegrated because of the brothers' dream of making it in the music business.

She was happy for them. All their hard work had finally paid off. But she was sad because she had lost her best friends. She had been replaced by the thousands, maybe even millions, of screaming fans. Hanson fans.

She slowly moved on with her life. Trying to forget how much they meant to her. Throwing herself into summer plans, then her eighth grade year in school. Of course, she bought Middle Of Nowhere the day it came out, recorded every tv appearance they made, bought every magazine with them in, and bought every piece of Hanson merchandise she could find. After all, they used to be her best friends. She really couldn't say that anymore though. She wasn't even sure they thought of her as their best friend. But still, she supported them. Even if now, it had to be from afar.

Now she didn't even hear much from them. A postcard from wherever they were for her birthday. A Christmas card, made out by Diana. If they were in Tulsa she didn't bother to see them. She had learned her lesson. The first couple breaks they had, she had rushed over to see them. But was always told by one of their parents or by one of their siblings that they were just simply too tired, but please come back later.

No, now she didn't even bother. What was the point? They had probably just forgotten about her anyway. Or just thought now she was another obsessed fan. Just like the rest.

It hurt just the same though. Her once best friends.

But she moved on. Or tried the best she could.

They've come a long way, she thought.

June 2002. Summer vacation. Then it'd be her senior year. At last.

If only she knew what the near future would bring. If only.