Chapter 6

Ike and Zac dropped off Zoe and Mackie at home and told their mom they were going to visit Tay.

"Are you sure that's a good idea? Him and Natalie could be busy or something....." Diana trailed off.

"We need to talk to him. We'll be back later," Ike replied.

"Alright."

The two brothers walked the short distance to Tay's house and knocked on the door. A few seconds later a tired looking Tay opened the door.

"Yo Tay. You look like crap man," Zac stated the obvious.

Tay rolled his eyes,"Oh thanks for pointing that out."

"You and Natalie have another fight?" Ike guessed.'
"Yes. (pause) So, what brought you guys here?"

"We need to talk," Ike said seriously."

"Without Natalie," Zac put in.

Tay stood aside to let them in,"We can go in the living room. I'll just tell her to not bother us if she comes in."

They walked into the living room and sat down.

"So, what do you need to talk to me about?" Tay asked.

"Melanie," Zac said.

Tay seemed to go pale and a sad look flashed through his eyes,"What about her?"

"I'm surprised you even remember her. After all, you practically ignored her at your wedding," Ike stated, a little coldly.

"She was at the wedding?"

"Yes. You said Hi to her. But then left," Zac replied, a little angry himself.

"That was her? Oh wow. I didn't know."

"Well, that's quite obvious," Zac said.

"Tay, do you even remember our friendship with her? How close we used to be?" Ike asked.

"Yes," he whispered, then,"Why are you bringing her up now anyway?"

"Because we were just talking to her a little bit ago. We've caused her so much sadness Tay," Zac said,"I could see the pain in her eyes when she saw us."

"She didn't know how to act around us. Like we were strangers," Ike put in.

"Well, our friendship is gone. So why care?" Tay stated.

"Because we still love her. She's still our best friend. She always will be. Or that's how Ike and I feel anyway. I don't know about you anymore Tay. Natalie has changed you. For the worse," Zac was getting mad.

Tay looked hurt,"I...I still care about her. I...It's just...everything's different."
"But it doesn't have to ruin our friendship with her..... I want the closeness back," Ike replied grimly.

"So do I. Which is why we're getting together tomorrow. To try to get it back. And you're gonna be there Tay," Zac told his brother.

"No way. I can't," Tay started to refuse.

"If you truly care about her, the friendship, you'll be there," Ike said deathly calm.

"No. I won't. It'll never be the same. It's gone. For good."

"And whose fault it that Tay?" Zac started,"Ours. Our dream cost us the best friend we've ever had. And we didn't even try to keep in touch. Not that much anyway. And now we have a chance to fix it and you're giving up. This isnt like you Tay. Before you would've agreed. But now.....well, you're just not the same person anymore. Maybe it's best if you don't come after all. I'm sure Melanie doesn't want to be friends with who you've become."

"She remembers you how you used to be," Ike put in,"(pause) We'd better go. If you change your mind, we're meeting her at 2:00 tomorrow at our house."

Then Ike and Zac got up and left.

Once they were gone, Tay just sat there. A million thoughts running through his head.

Then he sighed and whispered,"It wouldn't be the same."

He walked up to his and Natalie's bedroom. He rummaged in the closet, then pulled out a box from the back. He sat it on the bed and opened it. Pictures. Of those carefree days. The four of them were so close.

Why did everything have to change? he wondered.

I miss her.