Chapter 3

After a couple minutes of pushing Steven and LIndsay, they wanted off. They ran over to join their brother and sister on the junglegym. Melanie slowly followed them. Suddenly she became aware that two guys were staring at her. She could feel it. She glanced in their direction. Omg! she thought. It's Ike and Zac! But she figured if they wanted to talk to her, they'd say something. Plus she didn't feel as comfortable around them anymore. So much had changed...

Alicia looked to see where Melanie had been looking, then her mouth opened in surprise,"Isn't that...?"

"Yes," Melanie whispered,"Don't say anything."

"Why?"

"Because I'm not sure how they feel about our friendship anymore."

"Oh."

Just then, a little girl and a slightly older boy ran over to the junglegym.

"HI!" the little girl said to Lindsay,"I'm Zoe."

"HI, I'm Lindsay," she smiled.

"Oh my God," Melanie whispered to Alicia,"I'd know those kids anywhere. That's Zoe and Mackenzie Hanson. The youngest of the seven Hanson kids."

"That means..." Alicia trailed off.

Melanie nodded,"Exactly."

She glanced out of the corner of her eye. They were right. Ike and Zac were walking over here. To keep an eye on their brother and sister.

She hadn't spoke to them since the wedding, which was a little over two weeks ago. And even then, it was only for about five minutes. She had been surprised they had recognized her.

"Melanie? We thought that was you," Zac smiled.

She smiled back,"Hey Zac. Hey Ike. How are you guys?"

"Good," Ike replied,"So what have you been up to since the..." he stopped a second"...the wedding."

Hmm, it seems he's not exactly pleased about that either.

"Oh, not much. Just planning for my senior year of highschool. How about you guys?"

"We're almost done with our album," Zac replied.

Melanie smiled,"Yeah. I can't wait until it comes out. I mean, you guys rock. But then again, you guys have always been awesome musicians and singers." She hoped to remind them of the deep friendship they used to have.

Ike and Zac grew silent. Obviously, she had hit something.

"Yeah. if anyone should know it'd be you," Ike said softly,"you were there through everything. He seemed to emphasize "were"

She saw sadness in her once best friends' eyes. She felt the sadness come back too.

"It's been too long," Melanie whispered.

"Yes," Zac replied,"Yes, it has."

"Maybe we could get together. All four of us and talk. While we have the time," Zac suggested, sort of pleading with his eyes for all to agree.

Melanie half smiled,"Sure. Um.. all FOUR of us?"

"Yeah," Ike put in,"Me, you, Zac, and...Tay."

"If Tay isn't too busy that is..." she trailed off.

"Oh, he'll just have to make time," Zac said, almost angrily.

Alicia cleared her throat,"I think I better be going. Mom said be back by four. It's ten till."

Melanie started. She forgot Alicia was even there. Caught up in the moment.

"Oh Alicia, I'm sorry," she turned to Ike and Zac and gestured towards her friend," This is Alicia... My best friend."

She saw even more sadness flicker in Ike and Zac's eyes.

Then they smiled. "Hey Alicia. Nice to meet you,"Ike said, shaking her hand.

"Yeah. That goes for me too. NIce to meet you," Zac put in.

Alicia smiled,"Likewise. (pause) Well, I've really got to get going." She turned towards her siblings,"Come on Brenda, Lindsay, Jason, Steven. We've gotta go."

Complaints surged through the air:

"No, I want to stay..."

"Can't we stay longer?"

"Not fair!"

"I'm not ready to leave."

The little angels became devils.

"No. We have to go," Alicia told them, then turned back to Ike, Zac, and Melanie,"I'll see you guys later." And to Melanie,"Don't forget about tonight. Bye." "Bye."

"Bye."

"Bye."

Then Alicia was gone.