Chapter 2

Melanie put the finishing touches on the picture and held it out to the sunlight that was shining through her window to see it better. Satisfied, she put it in her drawing folder, where she kept her Hanson drawings that weren't up on her walls or ceiling.

"Poison Ivy" finished playing and "Lonely Boy" started.

"He's looking in the spring, looking for another lonely heart. Trying to find the answer, Trying to find the missing part," she sang along with it.

She sighed. And then turned to look out the window. Her house was on the same street as Hansons'. She could see their house from her bedroom. Well, their new house. They had moved awhile ago. Now Natalie and Taylor were living in the old Hanson house.

Natalie.....something clenched at her heart. She'd talked to her a couple times. When she'd call to talk to one of the guys. She was always rude,"No! They're not here. Bye!" Or "They're busy. Bye!" She just didn't like Natalie.

And when Diana had called to invite Melanie and her parents to the wedding, she was shocked. She knew Tay. He'd never marry that girl. Sure, he dated her. But that's nowhere as big as marriage.

I wonder why I care so much, she thought.

Duh! Because I still love him. He was my best friend. We used to be so close. Out of all of Hanson, she had always been closest to Tay. Most likely because he was the closest to her age.

He really hadn't even acknowledged Melanie at the wedding. He had said Hi. But she knew he probably didn't even recognize her. After all, he hadn't actually seen her since early 1998.

Ike and Zac did come over and ask how she was doing, anything knew in her life? etc.

Everytime she saw Tay and Natalie toigether she felt tears gather behind her eyes. But why? Sure, she loved him like a best friend still. But this was something different.

No! she thought, there's NO WAY I love him like THAT!

It was a weird thought. Could she really love her once best friend as more than that? A best friend?

She shook her head. "No," she whispered,"It's just not possible."

Suddenly her bedroom door burst open and in stepped her, best girl friend, Alicia.

"Hey Mellie! Why are you in here on such a beautiful day?" Alicia said cheerfully.

Melanie pushed all her thoughts away about these strange, new feelings and all the sadness, and put on a bright smile.

"I was just drawing,' she replied,"So, what's up? Anything interesting?"

"Well, I was just wondering if you'd like to go on a double date tonight with Tyler and I and Tyler's brother, Trevor."

Melanie groaned,"Stop playing matchmaker with me!" she laughed.

Alicia grinned,"Aww, come on. Please?! He's really cute, and he's on break from college. He'll be a sophomore in college this year."

"No way Alicia. I just don't feel like it."

"Come on. It'll be good for you. It'll get your mind off of things for awhile," Alicia put on a sad expression, like she was gonna cry,"Please?"

Melanie found herself starting to give. Alicia will be there too, she thought. It'll be okay. She sighed,"Fine. I'll go. But you owe me big time." She gave a half smile.

Alicia jumped up and down, then hugged Melanie,"Oh thank you Mellie! You'll see, you'll have an awesome time!"

"Yeah, sure I will," Melanie replied. At least it's something to do though.

"Now that that's settled, I was wondering if you'd come with me to the playground. My mom is making me take Brenda, Lindsay, Jason, and Steven. I asked if I could come and get you first."

"Sure," she smiled. So, Melanie let her mom know where she was going and her and Alicia walked to Alicia's house.

Melanie loved Alicia's younger siblings. Alicia was the eldest of eight kids. Alicia, 18; Molly, 15; Mark, 13; Brendon, 11; Brenda, 9; Jason, 7; Steven, 5; and Lindsay, 3.

Fifteen minutes later they arrived at the playground with the four youngest children of the Monteller clan.

"I wanna go on the swings!" Lindsay declared, making a dash for the swingset.

"Me too!" Steven ran after her.

"Can I go on the junglegym," Jason asked Melanie shyly.

Melanie smiled,"Sure you can. Just be careful."

Jason grinned and ran for the junglegym.

"Can I go too?" Brenda asked.

"Of course. Go ahead." Alicia smiled at her younger sister.

"They're all such sweetharts," Melanie said to Alicia.

'Don't I know it," Alicia grinned.

"Mel?!" Lindsay shouted.

Melanie turned towards the swingset where Lindsay was standing by a swing.

"Will you push me?"

'Sure I will."

"Push me too," Steven grinned.

"I'll push you Steven. Melanie is pushing Lindsay," Alicia said.

Steven crossed his arms and gave a pout,"No. I want Melanie."

"It's okay Alicia. I can manage," Melanie told her friend.

"Are you sure?"

"Positive. You can go keep an eye on Jason and Brenda."

Alicia gave a quick smile,"Okay. Will do." Then she walked over to watch two of her siblings on the junglegym.