Chapter 4

"Tonight?" Ike asked.

"Oh, I promised Alicia I'd go on a double date with her and her boyfriend, and her boyfriend's brother."

"Oh."

Disappointment flashed in their eyes.

"So, when do you want to get together?" she asked.

"Well, how about tomorrow at 2:00?" Zac replied.

"Sure.... Well, I'd better be going. I have to go call Alicia and find out exactly where we're going anyway."

"Here," Zac said,"Use my cell phone.

"Are you sure?" she asked as she took the phone.

"Yeah."

She dialed Alicia's number. Halfway through the third ring Alicia picked up,"Hello?"

"Hey. It's Melanie. I was just wondering where we're going on the date."

Alicia laughed,"Yeah, I kind of realized I never did tell you. We're going to this really fancy restaurant. I don't know where it is. Tyler said it's a surprise. We're picking you up at quarter till seven."

"Ok. See ya then."

"See ya. Bye."

"Bye."

Melanie sighed. She really didn't want to go on a formal date. Dressing up and all that crap on a first date and maybe the only date. Well, she just hated that.

Too late now.

"What's wrong?" Ike asked.

She handed Zac back his cell phone, then said,"It's a fancy date. Formal wear, the works."

"On a first date?" Zac seemed surprised.

"Yeah."

"It should've just been casual," he replied.

"You just read my thoughts," she gave a wry smile.

"Just like old times..." Ike said, half to himself.

Silence...

"I'd better be going. I have to get ready. It's already almost five," Melanie said after a minute.

"Yeah. I guess you'd better go," Ike said.

"We'll see you tomorrow," Zac replied. He hesitated, then gave her a quick hug. She smiled and hugged him back.

"I've missed you guys," she said, then she walked back to her house.