Chapter 14

Right as they were walking into the waiting room, they saw a doctor talking to the Hansons. They rushed over.

"I'm sorry,"the doctor finished.

"What's going on?" Melanie asked.

Diana had tears in her eyes. She got up and hugged Melanie,"Taylor's in a coma."

"What?!" Zac gasped.

Diana let Melanie go, then said,"The doctor doesn't know if he'll wake up. His chances are very slim."

Melanie started crying. "No," she half moaned, half sobbed.

Ike stood up and pulled her into his arms,"Itz ok Melanie. Tay will wake up. We can't lose him."

She didn't answer. She just sobbed into his chest.

The doctor came back out and said,"One at a time can go in. (pause) Talk to him. He may be able to hear you." Then he left.

"I'm going in," Diana said quietly.
She slowly walked into Taylor's room.

Ike and Zac got Melanie to sit down. But she still held onto Ike.

This is not happening, she thought. My best friend can't be in a coma. Itz not fair!

She gathered herself together, then asked,"What happened?"

"Taylor was in a car wreck. Two drunk drivers crashed into him," Zac said softly.

"He wasn't wearing a seatbelt,"Ike continued,"but the doctor said itz a good thing he wasn't. The seatbelt would've cut him in half cause of the force of the crash and he would've been dead on impact."

"So now he's in a coma," Melanie said bitterly.

"It may seem bad, Melanie. But at least he's alive," Diana said, coming back out of the room. She looked at Melanie,"Go in. I know you need to see Taylor."

"I..I can't,"Fresh tears threatened to spill.

"Go," Zac gave her a gentle push.

Melanie hesitated, then slowly, step by step, walked into the room and found herself staring at Tay's body. So still, she thought. So still.