twenty-two

instead of pushing smoke through the window screen, logan had grabbed his pack of smokes and bolted out the door. louise's brows furrowed but she quickly let it go, her annoyance with the blond quickly silencing her confusion.

the sun was beginning to set, tinting the outside world in orange and gold. street lights would soon turn on, shop signs blinking and buzzing. little oceanside would succumb to the moonlight.

louise had always loved the night. as a teenager, she would often sneak out to the pier after her parents' snores could be heard. she liked to dig her feet into the soft sand of the beach. wrap herself in an old blanket, let the icy ocean water tickle her skin.

logan looked up to the second story window, watching louise stare at the dimming sky. she was burning brighter than the sun and logan's skin felt hot as he looked away. he took another puff. the smoke filtered through his parted lips.

he held the cigarette between his index and middle fingers. he leaned against a light post, dragging his foot along the sidewalk. a little girl of perhaps nine passed by on her bicycle, all pigtails and pink helmet. his eyes found the second story window empty.

he took another puff.