thirty-one

"i'm so bored!" logan exclaimed as he slumped down on the sofa. his voice softly filtered through the cracked door to louise's small bedroom. there, she laid on her bed with a small book in hand.

it had been two weeks since rudy had shown up in the restaurant, invitation in hand. since then, louise had constantly been texting him, giggling to herself late at night while logan laid awake. alone.

raging footsteps approached, logan soon leaning against the frame of the now open door.

"whatcha doin'?"

"reading," louise murmured, annoyed by his sudden intrusion. logan stepped into the room and leaned to the side to catch a glimpse of the book cover.

"stephen king, louise? how fitting." logan snorted at his own joke as louise slammed her bookmark into the binding and shut the book. a small hand found the bridge of her nose and she exhaled loudly.

"what could you possibly want at," she glanced at her new wristwatch, "eight o'three at night, logan?" her voice was thick with some emotion, logan couldn't tell if it was fatigue or frustration. her thumb plucked at the pages and he responded,

"i'm boooooooooored," he dragged out. he quickly fell onto louise's bed and rolled over, pressing tightly into her side. logan nuzzled his forehead against her tan shoulder and she quickly pushed his head away with a scoff.

"go to bed, logan."

"only if you come with."

"no thanks." logan pouted playfully and louise rolled her eyes.

"well if you won't f*ck me then—"

"logan!" louise screamed, promptly shoving him off the bed. he hit the hardwood with a low grunt. louise hid her blushing face in the pillow.

"um, ow." louise peaked over the side of her bed, smiling at logan's curled up form on the floor. he met her gaze, her eyes were lukewarm and gleaming. she reached out a hand and squeezed his shoulder,

"oh, logie, i'm so sorry honey, what, did you have a little fal-" louise yelped as logan pulled her to the floor. she crashed into his chest and laughed loudly. logan wrapped his arms around her waist. they laid on the floor, all laughter gone and replaced by a soothing silence.

their foreheads fell against each other. louise's eyes fell shut, her teeth grabbing her bottom lip. her cheeks were a bit flushed, and logan could tell his were too.

"what have you done to me, four ears?" louise sighed softly as he squeezed her hip. her eyes opened slowly, her irises looked much darker than before. she placed a lingering, tender kiss on the corner of his lips. he smiled sadly as she pulled away. he closed his eyes tightly.

soon, the sound of the sputtering shower head reached logan's ears. it was faint and steady. it reminded him of the constancy of louise, the consistency of her friendship, the uniformity of her passion. her zeal was direct and intense, and once she chose you she couldn't stop.

this thought painfully reminded logan that she hadn't picked him. she had picked the redhead, the lanky teenager with a slight stutter, asthmatic lungs, and a bone-breaking grip.

logan laid there, the coolness of the wood floor beginning to chill his skin. however, he remained still on the floor, for it's better to feel something than nothing at all.