forty

louise poured a cup of coffee for teddy, his usual loud rambling especially screeching in her ears on the early tuesday morning. he was talking about his new pet fish, or ferret, or something. she wasn't really sure, but she nodded and gave a large toothy smile. she slipped him a pink packet of sugar and turned to refill a napkin dispenser.

logan's hand grazed her back gently as he passed, swiping the dish towel tucked in the back pocket of her jean shorts. she yelped, blushing as he smiled sweetly and began wiping down the counter. she shook her head and resumed napkin duty.

"louise freaking belcher!" the woman in question quickly gazed to the door of the small burger joint, her surprise melting to pure happiness and she ran from behind the counter, away from the stupid napkins and the stupid story (teddy's like an uncle to her, but even after all these years he's got enough stories to fill a dozen encyclopedias full).

"anita freaking vasquez!" louise yelled back with a bright smile at her old friend. she was tall, her long black hair in its natural tight curls, the usual red lipstick painted on her full lips. she wore a pair of faded blue jeans and a black tube top, exposing the various tattoos covering her arms. louise smirked at the sweatshirt tied around her waist.

"still haven't shown your tattoos to the 'rents?" she asked anita sardonically, leading her to sit at the counter while she ran around to the other side. anita rolled her eyes at the shorter girl.

"no, guess i'm not ready to give my parents heart attacks just yet."

"they must've questioned the sweatshirt since it's eighty thousand degrees out!" the air conditioner gave a loud gurgle and the girls snorted at the timing.

"nah, I stayed over at whitney's last night. the sweatshirt's for when I go home which won't be for another twelve hours or so. working at the parlor at noon." anita smiled brightly as louise slid a mug to her.

"man, i feel like i've missed out on so much with you. you're still with her? and you work in a tattoo parlor now?" louise asked with a small guilty frown, filling the new cup with steaming hot coffee. anita shook her head,

"lou, it's fine, honestly. we got lives now, adult lives. we've come back to each other and that's all that matters now." they shared soft smiles and anita took a sip of her coffee, smiling at the bitter taste. "at least you remembered how i like my coffee."

"yeah, because it's the simplest coffee order in history," louise retorted cheekily, fiddling with the freshly filled napkin dispenser.

"hey louise! can you bring this order to table three?" logan suddenly burst out of the kitchen, four plates juggled in his hands. louise's head shot over to him and she ambled over, grabbing the two outstretched plates from his left hand with a small smile. "thanks, brain."

"oh, no! not that again. that name's forbidden in this household!"

"when did that happen?"

"just now." they shared another smile before anita interjected,

"oh please, at least wait until you're on break to jump down each other's throats." her smirk was small and sarcastic, and she took a slow sip of her coffee as the pair almost dropped the plates in their hands.

"anita!" louise yelled, astonished. she could feel her cheeks burn a bright red as logan chuckled, setting down the plates on the counter. he held a hand out to the woman,

"don't believe we've met. logan," anita smiled back and shook his hand quickly,

"anita, louise's best friend." he nodded softly and grabbed the plates again.