twenty-three

Victoria kept close to the core, shooting at any robots that made it past the heroes.

She was starting to run out of arrows and if this kept up any longer, she'd need to give up the bow and fight manually. There were so many of them.

She slipped out a contraption, one similar to her father's, that ejected multiple exploding arrows. She shot them, each following the destined path before exploding when hitting the target.

Her head hurt, it had been a long day.

Her leg started to hurt too, and she glanced down to see a robot tearing the leather around her legs. Pulling out her knife, she shoved it into it's head killing it and kicking it away. The yellow glow shone through, causing Pietro to stop and stare.

"What—"

"—Long story, I'll explain later."

Ultron attacked Vision above her, sending the android into the wall. A yellow light emitted from his head, from the gem, and hit Ultron. The energy blew him back.

Thor and Tony joined Vision by blasting forces of their own. Stark, his power surges; and Thor's Lightning.

Victoria stopped, watching the ordeal with shock written all over her face.

Helen said the gem's power was uncontainable, but this was remarkable. The gem was practically a weapon. Now she realised how dangerous it truly was. Didn't Thor say there were six stones? If they were anything like this one, they're in big trouble.

"You know," Ultron's voice drew her out of her thoughts, seeing the robot stand up. "With the benefit of h—"

Hulk stopped him from continuing by throwing him through the air, before glaring and roaring at the left over robots. The robots stumbled before running in the opposite direction.

"They're trying to leave the city!"

"We can't let them, not even one," Tony stressed. "Rhodey!"

"I'm on it. Oh no, I didn't say you could leave. War Machine – coming at ya! Right up—" Rhodey caught himself. "Okay, what?"

"That's Vision, he's our new friend," Victoria snickered.

She ran over to her dad, who had gotten his bow back. She stole a few arrows, kissed his cheek and muttered a quick thank you.

"Those come at a price, you know."

"I'm your daughter, you can't charge me."

"Wanna bet?"

"We gotta move out, I can tell the air's getting thin," Steve looked around him. "You guys get to the boats, I'll sweep for stragglers, be right behind ya."

"What about the core?"

"I'll protect it," Wanda looked to Clint. "It's my job."

"Vic, Nat – this way."

"Hold on."

Pietro sped to his sister, who regarded him immediately, "Get the people on the boats."

"I'm not going to leave you here."

"I can handle this—" she paused to destroy a robot trying to flank her. "—Come back for me when everyone else is off, not before." Pietro nodded, kissing Victoria's head before moving in the opposite direction. "You understand?"

"You know, I'm twelve minutes older than you."

"Go."

Pietro send a wink towards Victoria, before speeding off. The girl nodded toward Wanda and ran over to where her father and Nat were climbing into a car. They set off in the direction of the boats.

"I know what I need to do," Clint spoke. "Dining room! If I knock out that east wall, make a nice workspace for Laura, huh? Put up some baffling, she can't hear the kids running around. What do you think?"

"You guys always eat in the kitchen, anyway."

"Huh," Victoria nodded. "I never noticed."

"No one eats in a dining room."

"Hey, dad? Mind building me a new room, while you're at it?"

"Nice try."

"Worth a shot."

They arrived at one of the boats, climbing out of the car. Bruce could be heard roaring, causing Natasha to shift.

"We don't have a lot of time."

"So, get your asses on a boat."

Victoria followed her father to the boat, the meds rushing to check her wounds.

"I'm fine, don't worry about me."

A mother could be heard calling for her child, and Victoria looked around. She spotted a little boy who was struggling to get up out of a hole.

"Dad, over there!"

Clint ran over to the child, picking him up when a flood of bullets ran toward them. Clint's eyes locked with Victoria's, the girl shouting out for her father.

"Dad, don't!"

Clint turned around, shielding the kid with his body, as the bullets rained down. A blue went by and a car was thrown before them. Victoria saw Pietro who has multiple holes in his clothes and blood coating every one of them.

"Pietro!"

She screamed out as she ran over to them, the speedster muttering out a final phrase before falling, "You didn't see that coming?"

"Pietro! No, no, no!"

She fell beside him, her eyes darting to each hole she could see. Clint out his hand on her shoulder as she cried.

"I can save him!"

"Victoria, you have never tried it before! Who knows what could happen?"

"I have to try," she looked at her father, the tears breaking his heart even further. At this point, Steve had ran over, his eyes darting to Clint for a moment before Victoria caught his attention.

She laid one hand on his chest – above where his heart was – and one on his head. She steadied her emotions and tried to focus on all of her power flowing into Pietro. The yellow glow flowed out of her hands like waterfalls and into Pietro, his gunshot wounds closing up after spitting out the bullet.

She felt her nose start to bleed, but she needed to feel his heart beat again. She continued to pulse the energy through her and into the boy, her breathing slowing as she felt herself grow weaker.

She felt a bump, then another and another until a steady rhythm was felt beneath her fingers. A heartbeat.

"A heartbeat!" She looked at her dad, who's pride was blunt in his smile. "His heart is working again! He—"

She stopped, spewing out a cough before collapsing over Pietro's body. Her father panicked, dropping next to her and shaking her, "Victoria? Victoria! Wake up!"

He checked her pulse, which was faint but still evident. He let out a sigh of relief. An officer came to fetch the child, and Steve picked up Pietro, lying him on a bench as the meds went to work with him. Clint carried his daughter onto the boat, sitting with her in his arms.

"I'm so proud of you, baby. I love you."

The flying city dropped, indicating that the core was activated.

"Thor, on my mark," Tony paused as lightning soared from the air. "Now!"

The lightning was brought down, and the city broke up into tiny bits. Clint's gaze shifted to where Vision brought an unconscious Wanda onboard before flying off.

The only thing Clint could do now, was hope and pray that the kids will be alright.