Panic

Walking to school with Mike the next day, I could tell there was something wrong.

My ankle was feeling better, my mom had looked after me a lot. But I couldn't play sports, I didn't care to be honest.

I didn't care about anything.

Today was the 16th of September. Six years since my dad, Andy, had died from cancer.

And it was still as painful now as it was six years ago today.

I cried every year on this date. The real challenge was going to be not crying at school, waiting until I got home and I was alone.

This was not my only worry. Something was wrong with Mike, I'm still not with Alicia, and Tre... well he's always something to worry about. I hadn't done any of my homework either.

Apon arriving at school, Mike wandered off alone.

Well then.

I stood by my locker and looked around, zipping my jacket up as my eyes skimmed over the pupils.

Today, a glum drizzly Friday, kids were in high spirits because of the upcoming weekend. I, however, was different.

Call me weird, but every September 16th is always grey and rainy.

I like the rain a lot. The dull but constanst patter of the rain drumming off my windowsill was enough to send me to sleep sometimes.

I'd have one hand on my heart and listen, waiting for the steady beat of my heart to line up with the rain. When it did, I always fell asleep.

Some nights the two noises never line up, which is when I don't sleep.

Some nights it doesn't rain at all.

A sudden tap on the shoulder brought me out of my daze.

"Hi." Alicia waved.

"Hello." I replied quietly, looking in at my lesson scedule. "Do me, Mike and you have Spanish together?"

She nodded as I got my textbook out. "I hate Spanish." I muttered.

"Por qué?" She asked and I smiled a little.

"It's shit." I said, walking to class with her as the bell went.

Once we got to Spanish, I took my usual seat next to Mike, with Alicia and Lauren in front of us. Mike kept his head down, watching the desk so intently; you would have thought he was watching porn.

I wrote all the Spanish down and Alicia turned around.

"Hey Billie?" I looked up. "Me gustas mucho." I looked at her blankly.

"No idea what you just said." She smiled kind of sadly and turned around again.

I looked over at Mike as he started breathing quicker.

"Mike?" I tapped his shoulder and he ignored me. "Mikey? Y'alright?" He looked at me, panicked.

Alicia turned around. "What's wrong with him?" She asked.

Mike grabbed my hand under the table and I looked down at our hands. "I think.. I think he's having an anxiety attack." I stood Mike up, walking him out of the classroom to somewhere quiet.

I didn't know what was up with Mike, but I intended to find out.