Wake Me Up

"What's up, Mikey?" I asked, sitting on a bench in the hallway with him. His breathing had calmed down a lot but he still didn't look right. He suddenly burst into tears and I followed my natural instinct of gathering him into my arms, rocking him gently backwards and forwards as if he was a baby again. I lifted a hand up to stroke his hair, simply letting him cry it out before attempting to talk to him.

After a while, he started to calm down, his face buried against my shirt. I rubbed circles on his back and wiped his eyes when he finally looked up at me. "Ready to tell me what's up now?" I asked, rubbing his leg.

"I can't." He mumbled, messing his hair up.

"Why not?" I asked, watching him carefully.

"Because I can't. Not today." Was all he said.

I sighed. "Mike, just tell me. Please. I might be able to help."

"My step-dad died." He sniffed.

My stomach churned.

Not today. That's what he meant.

Mike knew that today was my least favourite day, so he was going to let himself suffer this alone?

I rubbed his back and held him, my arms wrapped around him securely. "You'll get through it, Mikey. It hurts, it hurts a lot but you'll get through it."

I felt him nod as he buried his face in my neck. "I wanna go home."

I rubbed his arm, shaking my head. "We can get through today together. And not only today, we can get through the rest of everything. I'm gonna drop out, Mike. I know it sounds crazy, but I think we can make it in music. You me and Tré, we can be something big."

I felt him shake his head. "Don't be dumb, Bill. We can't make it like that, that takes extreme talent and a lot of skill, it even requires a shit ton of luck. Drop out if you want, but I'm gonna graduate. I need something to fall back on if we sink."

I groaned. "We won't, Mike. We can make it, I'm sure of it."

He sighed, sitting up slowly. "We'll see. Now let's get back in there."