Chapter 1 (Original)

"YES, MOM," I said somewhat exasperated at this point. I felt my face heat up as I got a few strange looks from other passengers on the bus and cast my eyes towards the gummy carpeted floor.

From the other side of the phone I heard faint laughter followed by a sharp smack! and then a sound of surprise. I winced in sympathy. I'd been at the wrong end of a few of those smacks. I shivered at the thought of Nico hitting me upside the head every time I did something dumb. Which was a lot.

"I'm serious, Seaweed Brain," Nico continued emphatically saying it for probably the two billionth time. "I know you. And knowing you, I sense danger coming. And I also know that your moronic self won't realize you're in mortal peril until your dad swoops in and saves your sorry butt." I scoffed playfully.

"Me? When have I ever gotten into danger? And seriously? 'Mortal peril'? Mortal peril is a little strong. And when has my dad had to save my bangin' butt? Name one time!" I challenged as I looked out the window of the Greyhound I was riding, slightly miffed at my friend's accusation.

"Perce, your mother—Ow! Geez, sorry—Nico is right. You attract danger like a magnet, man," Nico had interrupted Will by, I'm sure, threatening him or one of his more precious appendages.

Nico cut back in, "Name one time, huh? Ok, how about the time you fired that cannon into the school bus?" I had been about to splutter back that it wasn't my fault, but he beat me to it. "Or that time the shark tried to break the glass to get to you in Sea World? What about that time you were almost mugged and knocked that guy out? You almost got sued because of that! How about when your chord snapped when we were bungee jumping? Did you conveniently forget about that terrorist attack at the St. Louis Arch? Huh? You almost died every one of those times! I don't even know how you're still alive! I don't know how your actual mother survives without having a heart attack!" By the end of his mini rant, Nico's breaths were labored and ragged.

Of course I had perfectly logical explanations for all of those times, but I couldn't very well tell him that it was because I was a water mutant and that nice shark had just been coming over to have a conversation. That would be a conversation for a later date. In other words, the last conversation I would have before my untimely death.

Guilt washed over me as I realized how worried Nico had been. I opened my mouth to respond, but once again he beat me to it.

"You're my best friend, Percy! I don't know what I would do if you died! I really don't!" He exclaimed, pausing to take a shuddering breath. He seemed to calm down a bit before continuing, "Please— just promise me you'll be careful. I beg of you. You're my best friend." When he said that last sentence it was almost inaudible.

I cast my eyes down in shame and brought a guilty hand through my hair as I responded, "Yeah. I'll be careful. I promise, Nic. I'm sorry. I didn't realize I caused you to worry so mu—"

"Whatever. You've promised now. And I know I can't blame you for all of those instances. I'm sorry—I'm sorry for overreacting. It's just like danger really likes to follow you everywhere you go. I love you, my friend." Nico interrupted softly.

"Yeah, probably more than he loves me," added Will. I awed at the mental image of Nico smiling at his dorky boyfriend.

"Never," Nico promised, and I heard the small sound of a smooch on the cheek over the phone. It was times like this that the old jealousy of Will came out. But I couldn't ruin my OTP. They were too precious.