Chapter 1: The Day I Got... Expelled?!

"Out of all the shit we pulled I never expected to get kicked out for embarrassing Principal Grace in front of the Star-Spangled-Man-With-A-Plan," Percy grumbled into his phone. He pouted as he got a few strange looks from other passengers on the bus and lowered his eyes towards the matted carpet floor. What were they looking at anyway? Nosy, nosy, nosy, Percy thought in his head. They'd see weirder when we arrived in New York. The Greyhound was inbound for Manhattan and was almost as dirty as the subways that circled beneath it.

"At least the view was nice before you went out?" Nico joked.

"Haha, very funny." Percy said rolling his eyes.

"What, are you saying Cap isn't gorgeous?" Will asked in an offended manner.

"Of course that's not what I'm saying. I'm not blind. But I don't think he was worth getting expelled for!"

"Ha, I guess, but you gotta admit though. It's a very 'Percy-way' of going out," Nico joked.

"Oh is that one of your inside jokes now? 'Percy-way'? What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"'Percy-way'! It's our term for anytime you do something with your typical amounts of sass and stupidity," Will admonished.

"Wow, rude. I didn't ask to be attacked like this. Plus, isn't anything I do automatically the 'Percy-Way' since I am Percy?" If Percy had long hair you could bet this is where he would toss it dramatically.

He continued, "And going back to the earlier topic, I don't care if he was hot. Now my mom is gonna have to go through the trouble of finding me another new school and I'll have to start all over again."

Just the thought of a new environment without his best friends or his dad caused Percy to choke up a little in fear and anxiety.

Two sighs were heard from the other end of the line. "You're gonna be fine, Perce. We're gonna miss you like mad, but maybe you'll thrive at this new school, you don't know. Plus, think of it this way: until you find a new school, you're basically on vacation."

"Oh, and no Zeus!" Added Will.

"And no Zeus," Nico repeated letting his voice rise in what he hoped sounded optimistic but he just sounded like a strangled frog. Leave the optimism to Will, Percy thought ruefully.

There was a beat of silence as the boy on the bus didn't really know what to say.

"I guess... I just—I feel bad for my mom, y'know?" Percy admitted.

"We know, and we do too, but maybe it's for the best. You never really fit in at this school anyway?"

Percy laughed ruefully. Grover had said the same thing. "You sure know how to comfort a guy."

"No, what Nico is trying to say is just— well you know! This could be a good thing for you to branch out and meet more people and stuff!"

"More people and stuff," Percy mumbled mournfully. In a louder voice he said, "I'll call you guys later when we stop off in Manhattan. I wanna get some shut eye."

"Of course, Perce. Talk to you later, hun."

The phone chimed to let him know the call ended.

Silently, Percy stared at the now blank screen. His chest felt tight with the loss of his friends to comfort him, but he knew it was selfish to keep them just so he'd have company. He struggled to take in a deep breath and let out a shuddering huff. Swallowing thickly, he looked out the window feeling his hands fidget nervously with the chair.

The scenery passed quickly and he pressed his face to the glass letting the cool touch soothe him. He continued breathing deeply and before he realized, he was asleep.