Chapter 15

"No! We're the Elementalists!" A chubby Asian boy declares, seemingly popping out of thin air. Eight pairs of masked eyes narrow towards the little intruder and my own eyebrows shoot up in surprise. The movement lets me know that someone had put a domino mask on me and I feel like Robin from Young Justice. Definitely not feeling the aster.

A teenaged boy with fire red curly hair protests loudly, "I wanted to say it!"

The teenaged girl with rainbow highlights rushes towards the little boy who lets out a small sound of terror before turning into a squirrel and scampering away. Wow, that sentence really just popped out of my brain. I blink hard under the mask as I attempt to re-see what happened but the same little gif of the boy turning to a squirrel is the only image that resurfaces. Just as I think she's about to grab the squirrel-boy, a gold nugget hits her square in the back of the head.

"Leave Fwank awone, you meanie!" A little girl shrieks indignantly.

"Hazel! That wasn't nice!" A boy with dark blue hair scolds.

She whirls around to find the cutest little African American girl standing in a pose similar to the statue fearless girl but the facade crumbles quickly into a squeal as the girl with the brown hair seizes her up by the armpits and grabs the little boy from the corner that, to my fascination, had returned to a human form.

The two sit on her hips with tears in their eyes. "W-We just w-wanted to h-help, Pippy," the little girl hiccups. The woman's face seems to soften slightly behind the mask as she looks at them, the mask mirroring her eyes closely.

So-called Pippy casts a measuring glance around the room and at the insistent nods of her comrades, she leaves the room silently.

My eyes are taken from the door as the boy from earlier speaks up. "Well that's one way to start it," he attempts to joke.

I almost recognize a few in the room, but with my lack of confidence behind my hypotheses, I simply leave it be and let my questions spin silently in my head.

I don't ask the obvious question of, who are you? That had already been answered. Answered by a small Asian fetus.

I also didn't feel the need to ask where I was. Perhaps it was the whatever drugs they had put in my system, but I wasn't particularly scared or worried, and in fact, felt a sense of calm in its wake.

"Why am I here?" I finally ask. I gaze over all of them curiously, feeling as though I recognize them in some way.

I increase the humidity in the room to make it warmer subtly as I swing my legs over the cold metal table to sit upright. I cock my head to the side as they all seem to be affected by the increase in temperature but none of them move to take off their masks as I had hoped.

"Hey, stop that," Luke scolds, calling my attention to him for the first time. He's still wearing a mask but his hair color hasn't changed. But there's something else.

"What's wrong with your voice, Luke?" I ask increasing the temperature. Beads of sweat begin to coat their faces as the humid air begins to get to them. He doesn't answer but his lips thin in the impatient way he does when Flash hits on him.

"I didn't want to do this," Luke breathes out wiping his forehead as he looks to the ceiling. I raise my eyebrow silently. He must be ready to spill his guts, I think smugly.

Luke makes a minute gesture like he's swatting away a fly and suddenly I feel an uncomfortable weight against my shoulders. I swivel around to find Argent smirking and walking back to where the other six stood. My hands grasp the large metal collar angrily.

"What was that for? What did you do?" I grit out. They were no longer affected by the temperature and I couldn't raise the humidity no matter how hard I try. I try to dehydrate them, even to shake the water in the bottle I noticed that one of them held earlier, but to my shock and fear, nothing happens at all. No powers.