Chapter 10

"Sit up straight, Percy," my mother states with a hand on my shoulder and back, straightening it for me. "First impressions are important." She attempts to slick down my hair, running her fingers through my wild hair.

I pout as I continue to sit while she positioned me.

"Do I have to go to school?"

"Yes. It's not summer, you know," my mom says still attempting to fix my appearance.

"Why can't we pretend it is?" I say batting at her hands that were currently at my shirt trying to smooth it out. "Mom!" I hiss in embarrassment as students walk past us on their way to their classes.

"Sorry, baby. I just worry sometimes," she states. "And though you're very lucky that Paul was nice enough to give you a recommendation into this school, you still have to convince the Principal, but he'll love you. I'm sure of it."

Just as she finishes her statement, the door to the principal's office opens and a student walks out.

"Thanks you, Mr. Morita. I promise I won't do it again!" the heavy set boy exclaims. Just as he's about to go off to his class, Mr. Morita grabs his sleeve.

"Would you wait out here for a moment, Ned?"

"Yes, sir," he says all too happily, plopping down on one of the plastic chairs. Anything not to go back to class, I guess.

That's understandable.

"You know the phone policy, Mr. Leeds."

"Yep." He states peppily, sitting obediently in the chair. The principal just hums and turns his attention to us.

"Please, come in." He ushers the both of us into his office. He takes a seat behind his desk and my mom and I take seats in front. I wiggle around a little to get settled in. "So, tell me about yourself Percy."

"Uh... well, what do you want to know?"

"Tell me about what kind of student you are. What makes you deserve a place in this school. As you know, this is a top school in New York and many students and teachers fought to be in this building."

I gulp visibly. "I... well, I can tell you that I probably wouldn't have been able to come to this school had I got in by conventional means, but I swear if I get the chance to attend here, I will work really hard. I've always had a few issues with school, mainly because of my dyslexia and ADHD, but I will try my absolute hardest to do everything that is asked of me to the best of my ability, sir."

He sits quietly for a moment, seemingly lost in internal conversation. His conflicted expression morphs into one of resolve as he focuses back on us.

"Ok then, Percy." The principal smiles and reaches his hand out for me to shake. I accept his hand and hopefully he doesn't realize how clammy my hands are. He offers his hand to my mother as well, which she also accepts.

"Well, may I be the first to welcome you to Midtown highschool Percy. That is, should you choose to attend here."

My mother jumped in before I could say anything, "He would be so grateful to attend here should he be given the chance!" thankfully she didn't add, "This is the only school that was willing to accept him."

Mr. Morita smiles widely, "Well, we'd be glad to have him as well. If you'd speak with me for a little while and sign a few forms, I'm going to send Percy to take a peek around the school with Ned! We wouldn't want him to be bored to death with forms and such."

Smiling with relief, my mother gives me a little blow kiss and mouths, 'be safe' or maybe it was 'don't get into trouble or I will hurt you, child'. Which, either way, was said with a motherly expression so I know to take it to heart.