22. Playing With Fire

-----------

-----------

Fink - Looking Too Closely

"Put your arms around somebody else
And don't punish yourself,
The truth is like blood underneath your fingernails
You don't wanna hurt yourself
By looking too closely."

HOLDEN WAS AT PEACE WHEN HE THOUGHT OF ELENA. When she smiled, he imagined himself being somewhere warm, and when she glared at him playfully, he wanted to go and kiss her.

But he couldn't. Because she loved another, and that another was his brother.

Everyone were preparing for Founder's Day as Holden was looking around when he saw Stefan standing alone, waiting for possibly Elena. "Reminiscing old times?" he commented as Stefan was in 1864 clothing.

"What are you doing here?" Stefan questioned him and Holden stopped next to him before looking around.

"Waiting for Jade," he admitted with a small smile and Stefan furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "She's the female friend I've been talking about."

Stefan nodded his head. "Also, why wouldn't I come here to eat cotton candy, and see what Damon is up to?" Holden chuckled lowly, but Stefan didn't smile.

"Don't start with me, Holden," Stefan mused calmly and Holden knew he was still mad after learning the truth of Holden loving Elena.

"Listen, she said it, I didn't," Holden sighed deeply and Stefan turned at him with a brooding face. "She's not Katherine. I don't want to start the same feud you and Damon did with her."

"You're right," Stefan nodded staring somewhere. "She's not."

Holden followed his look and saw Elena approaching. She was wearing a beautiful dress, her hair curled. She looked strikingly like Katherine, but that didn't make Holden see Katherine. She was still Elena, gorgeous and sweet.

Elena smiled to the two brothers with a small smile as they both stared at her in awe.

HOLDEN WAS STANDING AMONG PEOPLE, WHO WERE READY FOR THE PARADE WHEN JADE APPROACHED HIM FROM BEHIND AND KISSED HIS CHEEK. "Hello, loner boy," she chuckled and Holden smiled at her before she moved to stand next to him.

"Glad you showed up," he commented looking down at the woman, who had her hair straightened that day. She smiled and when no one was looking, kissed him gently on the lips.