Eadlyn and Ahren

Maxon's POV
My mind couldn't think. All I could see was the advisors trying to negotiate with the man on the screen. I watched America. Her eyes were scared and   I could see that she had been crying. I stormed out of the conference room and went to my office to think.
What the hell just happened!
America was gone. Kidnaped out of the palace!
I slammed my fist against the desk. It was my fault she was taken. If I had not been working so much I could have been there to help her.
But now she was gone. Probably scared to death. n I couldn't be there to protect her.
I ran my hands through my hair.
I walked out of my office and ran saw Marlee. I could tell she had been crying and she was walking with Eadlyn, Ahren, and Kile.
"Marlee what's wrong?"
She stoped walking and faced me.
"What if something happens to her?" Marlee say.
"Marlee I promise that won't happen."
"Maxon you don't know what they could do to her."
"We just have to hope they don't hurt her."
Marlee looked down at Eadlyn and Ahren.
"What about them? I love watching them but I need a break."
"I can watch them." I say.
Marlee laughed. "Maxon are you sure?"
"Yes. I am their... you know."
"Maxon have you ever watched little kids?"
"I'm sure I can figure it out."
"...okay." Marlee said looking back at the twins.
"Do you guys want to hangout with Maxon for awhile?"
They both shake their heads rapidly and that made me smile. They wanted to be with me. It was the first time I smiled since I found out about that America was taken.
"Come on let's go." I say to them. I put out my hand for them to grab so they can follow me. Their tiny hands grab my finger and I lead them to my room.
I have a guard move their cribs to the Queen suite so during the night I could be close to them.
I put the twins to sleep and go back to my room. I toss and turn for hours thinking about America.
Was she okay.
I hope that she knew I was going to save her and Eadlyn and Ahren were safe and I loved her.
I couldn't sleep without knowing America was safe. I thought about her smile and worried I would never see it again.
Right as I was about to fall asleep I heard crying coming from the queens suite. I get up and go to see what's wrong.Ahren was crying.
I started to panic. I had no idea what to do to comfort him. I remembered how America would pick them up and whisper things to them. But I didn't necessarily have that motherly affection. And I didn't have the most experience with good fathers.
I picked Ahren up and rubbed his back.
"Shhhh." I told him. "It's okay, I'm right here."
I continue to try and calm him.
"What's wrong?" I ask him.
"Bad dream." he whimpers.
I rub his back. Of course. America told me that Ahren had nightmares often and I had no idea how to comfort him.
"What was it about?" I asked.
"Mommy."
I had not told Eadlyn and Ahren about what had happened to America. I felt horrible for keeping it a secret but I didn't know how they would react or if they would even understand.
I wiped a tear of his cheek.
"Your mother is fine. Don't worry Ahren." I lied.
"Where is she?"
Oh no.
"She has gone away for awhile but she will be back soon."
I rocked Ahren in my arms until he was sleepy.
"Do you want to go back to sleep?"
Ahren shook his head no.
"Why not?"
"I'm scared."
"Do you want me to stay with you until you fall asleep?"
"Okay then."
I grabbed a chair and sat by his crib and thought about America and how I could save her.
I remember how scared she looked in the video. If I could switch places with her I would do it in a heartbeat. It was my fault she was in danger.
"I can't sleep." Ahren says distracting me from my thoughts.
"What will help you sleep?"
"I don't know." I remember how my mom would tell me bedtime story's.
"Do you want me to tell you a story?"
Ahren nodded.
"Okay let me think."
I thought of s good story and my favorite came to mind.
"Once upon a time there was a girl with the most beautiful red hair..."
I told him the story of how America and I met and fell in love. I didn't tell him it was about his mother and I and of course I didn't tell him about my father beating me. And in this story America and I lived happily ever after.
I finished the story and saw that he was asleep.
"Good night." I say and kiss his forehead. Then I go over to Eadlyn and do the same. I go back to my room and back to bed.