America is Gone

Maxon's POV
I was pacing inside of my room. Tears brimming at my eyes. I still had the note in my hand.
I didn't want to believe that America was dead. I was supposed to be protecting her. I looked at the note in my hand. A tear ran down my cheek and I wiped it away. I am not supposed to cry. There was a knock on my door and I quickly hid the note in my suit jacket and wiped any tears that were on my face away.
"Come in," I say my voice cracking.
The door opens and Starvos walks in. "Just a reminder your majesty that you have a meeting in one hour."
Crap.
I completely forgot about the budget meeting. How am I supposed to think when America is gone.
I just try to hide the pain on my face as I turn towards Stavros. "Of course, I won't miss it." I turn away and pray that he will go away. My prayers are answered as I hear the door shut. I collapse on my bed and run my shaking hands through my hair. It doesn't make sense, how did the rebels even know America was here? How do they know that I cared about her as deeply as I do? Why out of everyone in the palace they had to kill America? Why not me? I would much rather be in her place. A tear streams down my cheek. I quickly wipe me face. Stop it Maxon Kings don't cry I tell myself.
Then it hits me.
What about Eadlyn and Ahren. They need America just as much as I do. I can't take care of them by myself. Hell I barely even know them and they don't know me. What am I going to do without my darling America.
"America". I whine into my hands. Even saying her name hurts.
30 minuets later

Instead of sitting around in my room I decide to find the one person who may be able to help.
I knock on Marlee and Carters door. Marlee opens the door with a smile on her face, but as soon as she sees my current state her smile disappears.
"Maxon have you heard anything about... her?"
I can her Eadlyn and Ahren in the background laughing and my heart breaks for them. There Mom was gone. 

The only parent they ever knew, was gone. It was all my fault. I could not protect America from the rebels. And I was to busy with work to even notice she was missing until it was to late.

Just then Starvos walks in, telling me it is time for my meeting.

America's  POV

I woke up to the sound of a door slamming. Kriss  had just walked in with a box and a pieces of paper in her hand.

"So do you love my husband?" she asked, her face blank.

"No" I lied , I thought maybe if she thought I did not care about him, maybe, just maybe she would let me go.

"Well he seems to really care about you." she throws the tiny box at me.

I looked at it carefully, scared about what would be inside. 

"Open it." She says forcefully.

I open it quickly my hands shaking. inside was a beautiful ring. It has two stones one green and one purple. The band around the ring was a rose gold color. I immediately knew what is was. 

"What is this?" I asked, pretending like  did not know.

"I found it a couple months after Maxon and I got married. At first I was confussed as to why Maxon had a ring in his night stand. I assumed it was an early birthday gift and put it back in its spot. But then I found these."

Kriss threw some letters at me. I skimmed over them. They were from Maxon.... to me.

"Kriss I have no idea what these are."

"Why are you pretending to be dumb? You know Maxon is still in love with you. You know he writes you letters. And you know that he wants to marry you!"

" He does not love me Kriss  and he does not want to marry me. He choose you for a reason, remember"

"What about the letters and the ring! why would he write you those if he did not love you?"

" I have no idea Kriss, maybe they were from when the Selection was still going on. But I can assure you he does NOT love me."

Only half that sentence was true. But Kriss did not look like she was buying it.

"As soon as I found those I had to know for myself. That's why I asked you to come to the palace, but as soon as you got there Maxon had changed. I know for a fact that he loves you and that he wishes he was with you, and I will not let that happen, I'm his wife not you! And i don't care how I hard I have to try it is going to stay that way!"

I looked back up at Kriss, like a child being scolded. I knew Maxon and i could never be together but something about her words made it finale.

Kriss walked out of the room slamming the door as hard as she could as she went.

Kriss was in such a fuss she forgot to pick up the ring and letters. Once I knew she was gone i picked up the ring box and opened, staring at the ring.

It truly was beautiful. The light from the small window in the corner hit the stones and they twinkled. I recognized the stones as mine and Maxons birthstones. He so thoughtful. I slipped the ring on my finger only for a second. It fit perfectly. I admired it for a while before taking it off. WHo knows what Kriss will do if she catches me wearing it then i saw the letters sitting there.

Maxon had written me letters.

while Kriss was in here i could not really appreciate them but now I could.

My heart soared. He really did miss me.

I picked them up and began to read.

Authors Note

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where have I been???!!! I swear I'm not dead. I'm so sorry for abandoning this story and you guys. I was just so busy with school and my 4-H projects that I could not focus on this. (I know what you are thinking, excuses, excuses, excuses.) But I'm  back and ready to finish this story. I promise I will not disappear anymore (hopefully)

Thank you so much for reading

-Alison

QOTD: When did you read The Selection Series 

AOTD: A little over a year ago