3

To say Sophia was excited about having dinner with Reggie was the least

To say Sophia was excited about having dinner with Reggie was the least. She didn't even know why she agreed. He was a huge asshole, especially to one of her best friends. But Elena was gonna make her go anyway. If Sophia didn't, she was going to tell her dad and make everything worse.

As the time for dinner came closer, Sophia was stressing. She was starting to regret saying yes to Reggie, but she had to make it up to him for punching him. Sophia stood in front of her closet. She didn't have anything to wear. Her closet was filled with ratty jeans, shirts with small holes, and bomber jackets. Elena looked at her sister from across the hallway.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"I don't have anything to wear. I don't know if I should wear jeans or what. I've never been on a date" Sophia said.

"C'mere" Elena motioned towards her.

Sophia walked across the hallway to Elena's room. She slid her closet door open and started to look through her clothes. She pulled out a short red flair dress and a jean jacket.

"A dress?" Sophia asked.

"You're going to dinner" Elena replied.

"At Pop's. Not some fancy restaurant" She said.

"It's not fancy, Soph, trust me" Sophia reluctantly took the dress and went into the bathroom to change.

When she had the whole outfit on, she looked in the mirror. She did look good. But was it too much? Sophia stepped out of the bathroom to show her sister.

"Hermosa!" Elena exclaimed, watching her sister put on a pair of a white converse.

Sophia smiled at her and picked up her purse and took her phone out. 8:01.

"I'm late! Gotta go! Thanks for the dress" Sophia said as she ran down the stairs and out the door.

Pop's wasn't far from the girl's house. It was placed in the middle of town to be convenient for everyone. Sophia damn near ran to Pop's. She was already five minutes late. When the restaurant came into view, she slowed down, praying that she wasn't sweaty. Sophia swung the door open causing the bell to ring. Pop's looked up from taking an order.

"Lookin' very pretty, Sophia" he smiled.

"Thanks Pop's" She tightened her grip on her purse.

No one had really ever told her she looked pretty. It made her feel good. Sophia looked around until she saw Reggie sitting at a booth. She took a deep breath before walking up to the table and sliding in the booth.

"Hi" Sophia sat, her hair flowing over her shoulders.

"Hey! Wow, you look beautiful" Reggie said, schooling the girl.

"Thanks" Sophia fidgeted with her finger nails.

"Do you know what you want?" He asked, referring to the menu.

"Yeah, I always get the same thing. A burger, fries, and a caramel milkshake" She smiled.

"Caramel? You're a caramel girl?" Reggie asked.

"It's the best flavor. Vanilla is plain and chocolate is cliche" Sophia said.

"What about strawberry?" He asked.

"Disgusting" She crinkled her nose.

"I'm offended, strawberry's my favorite flavor" He said.

"Well then you have terrible taste" Sophia said before calling Pop over to the table.

They two ordered their food and continued small talk as they waited for the meal. They told each other about their families. Sophia even told Reggie about her mom. Brenda Luiz was bipolar and unstable. She had disappeared when Sophia was just 10, leaving her father to care for two kids on his own. All Sophia has left of her is the note she left for the family saying that she was going to get help because there was nothing left in Riverdale for her.

When the food arrived, a reasonable question popped into Sophia's mind.

"Reggie?" She asked.

"Yeah?" He said, swallowing his food.

"Why did you ask me here? You could have had me do anything. But instead you took me to dinner" Sophia questioned.

"You're different. You're not like the other girls. You obviously didn't fall for my charm like the rest of them" Reggie says.

"Yeah" She laughs.

"You were always nice to me when we were kids, despite me being an ass to Jughead" he says.

"I'm nice to everyone" Sophia says.

"In the second grade, my mom forgot about show-and-tell day and didn't bring my dog. I remember I was so sad but you came over and told me that we could share your toy car models" Reggie smiled.

"I can't believe you remember that!" Sophia exclaimed.

"I remember because it was the first time someone was nice to me" Reggie said, "And that's why I asked you on this date".

"So this was a date?" Sophia asked.

"Only if you want it to be" Reggie said, almost disappointed.

"On one condition" She says.

"What?" He asked.

"Leave Jughead alone. Please. He has enough on his plate without you adding to it" Sophia pleads.

"Done" Reggie puts down his fork, already finished with his food.

"Wow, I thought that'd be harder. You must really like me" the girl said while she ate a fry.

"I do" he said.

Sophia blushed and sipped her milkshake.

"You really shouldn't eat that fast, it's bad for your metabolism" Sophia said trying to take the attention off herself.

"Pretty and smart, aren't you a catch?"