11

The school day at Riverdale High had been long and dreary, but Sophia had finally made it to lunch

The school day at Riverdale High had been long and dreary, but Sophia had finally made it to lunch. A 45-minute period where she didn't have to worry about who discovered America or what pi squared was.

On a more exciting note, it was Jughead Jones' birthday. Sophia's dear best friend had finally turned 16. Jughead has always hated his birthday - no one ever really knew why. But she knew it had something to do with his dad. Sophia hadn't seen Juggie's Dad in a while. All she knew was that he ran with the Serpents. She couldn't really judge because her dad used to be one too. But he dropped out almost as soon as he had met her mother, Brenda.

Speaking of Sophia's father, she hadn't spoken to him since he had left for the car convention. Deep down inside, she feared that he would leave just like her mother did. Elena had assured her that he probably is busy. Luckily, her dad had come back last night as she was definitely relieved. He even got up early this morning to drive her to school.

Reggie and Sophia hadn't seen each other in a while. So much had been going on. Between Jason's funeral, school, Sophia's job, and Reggie's football practice, the two barely had time for each other. They basically texted each other 24/7 during the week days, along with lingering glances between the two at school. During free periods the two had together, they would go to the stairwell and kiss. But they spent most weekends together. It may had not been the most functional relationship, but it was working for them.

As Sophia got to the lunch table, it seemed Veronica was starting a new conversation.

"Betty, you were saying something about Jughead's birthday?" Veronica asked.

Sophia took as seat on Archie's right side, across from Betty. She began to eat her fries from her lunch tray.

"Yeah. Just that Mr. Jones told me Jughead's never had a birthday party. Let's have one for him. Like, a low-key surprise party" Betty says.

Um, has she just met Jughead?, Sophia thinks to herself.

"Uh, no, no" Archie and Sophia say almost in sync.

"That's a fantastic idea" Veronica says.

"That's a terrible idea" Sophia contradicts the raven-haired girl.

"Jughead doesn't like his birthday" Archie says.

"Everybody says that, nobody means it" Kevin says.

"Trust me, Jughead means it" Sophia says.

"Jughead is a lone wolf" Archie says.