5

Sophia Rodríguez walked all the way home that day

Sophia Rodríguez walked all the way home that day. She swore to herself she wouldn't cry, though a few tears slipped out. She should have known all along. Out of the blue, Reggie starts being nice? Something had to be up, but Sophia was too blind to see it. Later that night, Betty texted her to see if she was ok. It was obvious everyone had seen her name on Reggie's list. But no one said a thing. Not even Cheryl. Sophia just wanted to forget all about it.

So she decided to have dinner with Jughead, Betty, Kevin, and Veronica. Sophia squeezed into the booth on the left side of Veronica. They had been talking about how the drive inn was closing down after an anonymous buyer purchased. Jughead and Sophia use to go there all the time as children with Jellybean. The first thing they had ever seen was Jaws. She remembers Jellybean got so scared that they had to leave in the middle of the movie and walk her home. The drive inn meant a lot to Sophia, but obviously more to Juggie. Just as Sophia was about to say what movie she thinks they should play for the last viewing, Archie walks in with Miss Grundy and his dad.

"Now that's an odd combo of people" Kevin says as Sophia's eyes widen causing Betty and Jughead to turn around.

Betty's jaw drops, signaling that she knew something more than Miss Grundy tutoring Archie. Sophia didn't know if Jughead told her or if she figured it out herself.

"I'll be right back" Betty stands and makes her way over to the group.

"No, Betty!" Sophia and Jughead say simultaneously.

The next few words exchanged are inaudible, but Archie stands and follows Betty outside. They stand there talking to each other before Veronica asks Sophia to get up so she can go outside and see what's going on. Betty looks as if she's getting annoyed.

"Oh, the times I wish these windows opened" Sophia sighs.

Alice Cooper pulls up in a green Vista-Cruser and Betty gets in quickly. Her mother sends one last look at Archie and Veronica before driving off. Sophia looked at the time on her phone and stood.

"I should be going too, see you guys tomorrow" she said to Jughead and Kevin before walking out the door.

*next day*

Sophia said she would help Jughead put up posters about how the kids at Riverdale High should try and save the drive-inn. She knew there was no chance of them saving it, but she still wanted to support her friend. Elena was going to pick her up early from school to go to her physical therapist. The pain in her leg was getting worse every day and soon she wouldn't be able to take it. She just hoped she wouldn't need crutches or cane.

Jughead told Sophia to make sure to put flyers outside the cafeteria doors because that's where people would really see them. When she came down the stairs, she saw Chuck and Reggie in front of the doors talking. She tried to make a beeline before Reggie saw her but had no luck. He ran after her as she tried to walk as fast as she could with her bad leg.

"Sophia! Sophia!" He called, but she just ignored him.

So he accelerated his speed and ran in front of her to make her stop.

"What? I need to finish putting these flyers up" She said looking everywhere but him.

"I was just coming to ask you if we're still on for our date tomorrow night?" He smiled.

"Yeah, that's not happening" she walked around him.

"Wait, what? Why?" His smile disappeared as he grabbed her arm.

"You don't have to pretend anymore. I saw the list" She rolls her eyes.

"What list?" He asks, completely dumbfounded.

"Maybe this will ring a bell. 8, 7.5, 8.5, 9?" His eyes widen as she pulls her arm away from him.

"Sophia, please let me explain" He says.

"Just leave me alone, Reggie" She turns away from him so that we won't see the tears brimming her eyes.

"But, just let me-" Sophia cuts him off.

"I SAID LEAVE ME ALONE" all chatter in the hallway instantly stopped and all eyes were on the two.

Reggie looked down at her and saw the tears in her eyes, one falling out but she quickly wiped it away. He had never seen the girl cry, not even in grade school. He took a few steps back from her.

"I'm sorry" he mumbled, before walking away.

*kinda a short chapter but I just wanted to get it out there