CHAPTER 2

I let myself into my tiny, one room apartment, and lock the door behind me. It isn’t much, but it was what I could get with the little money I took from Asshole. It seemed like a lot when I took it, but seventeen hundred dollars doesn’t really go far, which is why I took the job at the convenience store. I toss my keys on the table and plop on the couch. It’s well worn from a previous owner. I picked it, and the rest of my measly furniture, up at a Goodwill store. My boss helped me out with a truck and moving everything. I’m so grateful for him.

My belly uses that moment to let it be known I haven’t eaten anything since this morning. I get up and go to the kitchenette. There isn’t much; a small refrigerator, a two plate stove and convection oven. I grab the bread and a knife and prepare to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I have always felt sorry for people with nut allergies. I don’t think I could live my life without peanut butter. It’s everything that’s good and wholesome in the world. I finish making my sandwich and snatch a bag of chips off the counter as I go back to the couch. I grab the remote and turn on the television. I don’t have cable, so I’m rabbit-earing it with an old box television, complete with tin-foil to help with reception. There isn’t much on this time of night except infomercials and old movies. I settle back and watch The Princess Bride. I don’t normally watch romcoms, but I love this movie. It’s inconceivable, really.

After the movie is over I take my plate and wash it, setting it in the drying rack. I remove my clothes and start the shower, making sure the water is hot before stepping in. I duck my head under the spray, letting the water soak my long hair. I shampoo, then condition it. While the conditioner is doing its thing, I lather up a washcloth and wash my body. Rinsing the suds free, I duck my head back under the spray and rinse the conditioner out. I finish up and turn the water off, step out and begin drying myself off. I go to the dresser and pull out clean underwear and sleep clothes. I wrap my hair in the towel and get dressed for bed.

I go to the couch and pull all the cushions off, tossing them to the corner of the room. I pull out the bed, the sheets and blankets already tucked inside. Grabbing the cushions from the corner, I  put them against the back of the couch, creating a barrier against the frame of the bed. I turn off the lights and climb in, cocooning myself in the blankets.

I close my eyes in an attempt to sleep. I try all the tricks I know to make it happen, but nothing is working. All I can think about is the shifter I met. His piercing eyes. His extremely handsome features. If his looks are indicative to the shifter species, and they are plentiful in this area, I’m in trouble. I finally stop thinking about him and fall into slumber.

I’m walking through the woods at night, something that should terrify me, but strangely doesn’t. It feels like something I’ve done many times. I know exactly where I’m going. I make my way over fallen tree stumps. There isn’t a path, but my feet know the way. My footsteps slow automatically as I near where I’m supposed to be. I lower myself to the ground and wait. I don’t have to wait long before I see three sets of glowing eyes; two blue and one brown. I am surprisingly calm as I watch the three wolves move closer to me, their sleek fur shining in the moonlight as they move. When they finally reach me, they lower their upper bodies in a bow, their eyes never leaving me. I reach my hand out, unafraid of them, and stroke the brown-eyed one between his eyes. His eyes close and he plops to the ground in what I assume is pleasure, and tiny growl emanating from him. The two blue-eyed beasts whine low in their throats and headbutt me lightly in the arm. I laugh as I give them the attention they want. I lie back on the soft moss and the three of them lie as close to me as they can get, licking my body every once in awhile. I have a sense of peace when I’m with them that I’ve never felt before. I close my eyes and just enjoy being with them.

I wake to my alarm going off. I reach over and turn it off. I have never been a snoozer, so I throw the covers off and get ready for the day. I need to pick up my paycheck, and with it I finally have enough money saved up to get a cell phone and be able to pay the bill every month. I get dressed and grab my keys and purse, locking the door behind me. I head to my car. Looking around me, there isn’t much happening in this little town, which is why I chose it. I get in the car and drive to the little grocery store that serves all of our needs here. Besides selling groceries, they have a bank, a cell phone carrier, and a cable/satellite company. They can basically meet any need you have since there isn’t a big box store for a hundred miles in any direction. I park my car and get out and head inside.

I wave to the cashier, on my way to the cell phone kiosk. As I approach, the sound of the doors opening behind me has me turn around in curiosity. Three very large men walk in. I’m staring, and I know I’m staring, but I can’t help it. Never in my life have I seen such good looking men. As if they can feel me looking at them, all three turn their heads toward me. Staring back at me are two sets of identical blue eyes, and one set of piercing brown ones. I get a niggling feeling in the back of my brain that I know them, but that’s silly because I would definitely know if I’ve ever met them.

“Earth to Skye,” a laughing voice says behind me. I feel my face heat in a blush and I turn around quickly, my embarrassed eyes meeting those of Sally. She’s one of the only people I really know here, besides my boss. We’ve hung out a few times and I’ve told her about my life  before coming here. She a good friend, and I hope she stays that way.

“Who are those guys?” I whisper to her. Just getting that look at them, I have a suspicion they are shifters, and I’m pretty sure they have like super hearing or something.

“The twins are JJ and Jamie, and the other is their cousin, Nev. They are always together, if you see one, the other two aren’t far away.”

“Are they, you know…” I hedge about saying the S word.

“Shifters?” She nods her head. “Yeah, all three belong to the same pack. Don’t worry, unless they turn on their super hearing, they are just like a regular human. What can I do for you today?”

“I finally have enough saved up to get a phone. I figured it was about time. Just give me whatever’s on sale and the cheapest plan for now. When I can afford better, I’ll upgrade.” She gets out the phone and all the paperwork. I don’t have to pay anything up front, and the activation fee will be billed to my account. We finish up and agree to get together in a couple of days, her phone number now programmed into mine, and I go back to my car. As I get in, my mind wanders back to those three shifters. Why do they seem so familiar to me? Then it clicks. Their eyes are the same eyes as the wolves from my dream. Is it possible that I dreamt of them before I ever met them? What does that mean? I’ll have to ask Sally when we get together. She seems to know about shifters. Maybe she can tell me. I could text her, but she’s working, and it’s not really something I want to text about anyway. My mind mulls over it while I drive. What a strange little place I ended up in.

A/N: Thank you docistheboss for the cover photo 😚😚😚