CHAPTER 15

I'm walking through the now familiar forest toward my now familiar destination. I can't wait to see my guys. I hurry along the path that I know will lead me to them. I reach the log, but none of them are here. I sit on it and wait.

I'm playing with a strand of my hair when I hear a twig snap. My eyes dart around, looking for one of my guys. My heart lurches when I realize it isn't one of them, but Dalton. I stand up quickly, my hands thrown out in front of me toward him off. I step backward over the log.

"Well, hello there. You didn't think you could really get away from me, did you?" He sneers at me, and it sets my pulse racing even more. I close my eyes and wish at least one of my guys were here. Wasn't one of them always supposed to be asleep when I was?

"H.. How are you dream walking with me? We aren't bound."

"I guess your bastards are aware of it, then. That's not important. You will be mine. You can place all your bets on that."

"Think again." Relief flows through me at Nev's voice behind me. He reaches out and places a hand on my shoulder. I glance back and he gives me a reassuring look before stepping in front of me.

Dalton is at once defensive, and shifts. His coat is mangy and he is utterly skinny, his ribs showing through his thin fur. His lips pull back in a snarl, and saliva drips from between his yellowed teeth.

"You can shift all you want to, Dalton, but you and I both know that you can't beat me on your best day."

Dalton starts to stalk Nev, chest low to the ground in anticipation of a jump. Nev wastes no time shifting into his wolf form, a fierce growl emanating from him. They stalk each other, Dalton trying to get around Nev to me, but Nev blocks his every attempt.

After a few minutes of posturing, Dalton jumps Nev. I jump back, my mind screaming for the twins to come and help. I don't know if they can hear me, but I pray they can.

The two wolves; one huge and muscular, the other bigger, but clearly weaker, grapple around the clearing. the snarling and growling drowning out any other noise that could be made.

All of a sudden there's two other wolves in the fray. It doesn't take long before the rabid beast is subdued and disappears altogether. All three of my guys shift. i completely ignore their nakedness as I run to them, needing comfort. I throw myself at them, uncaring whose arms I land in.

At once, six hands are offering comfort. Rubbing my shoulder, up and down my back, and just holding me against a hard chest. I realize at once, it's JJ's chest I'm against, and I snuggle in a little closer, seeking his warmth.

"It's okay. You're safe, Skye." He whispers against the top of my head, then places a soft kiss there.

"We'll protect you every time. You're ours, and we won't let anyone harm you." Jamie says from behind me.

"Every time, Skye." Nev reiterates.

I'm comforted by their words, a calm peace settling in me. I relax against JJ.

I feel warm hands rubbing up and down my back as a gentle voice coaxes me awake.

"Come on, Skye. Time to wake up." I hear Nev's voice calling to me. I slowly open my eyes, thankful the light in the room is dim. I feel like I have the world's worst hangover, even though I didn't drink last night.

"What time is it?" My voice comes out like a croak. I clear my throat and try again. "What time is it?" That was a little better.

"Just a little after nine." He answers. I sit up slowly, and look around the room. It's just him and I, but I can hear the twins rustling around in the kitchen. I flush a little when I remember what we had done on this very couch. He lifts my chin to look in my eyes. "Don't be embarrassed, Love. There's absolutely nothing wrong with what we did last night." I shake my head a little.

"That isn't it." I begin on a whisper. "I'm embarrassed the twins might have heard, or even felt, what happened." Nev gives me a soft grin.

"It is most likely they did at least feel it," he begins, and panic courses through me, "but, we would never say anything about what happens with one of us in private. At least not right now." He gives me a mischievous look, a look I would expect from JJ. "I can't promise about later on in life when we've together for years." He teases. I just giggle a little and snuggle into him. He's so warm.

He places a light kiss to the top of my head, and pulls me in closer. I enjoy just lying in his arms. After a little while, Jamie comes out of the kitchen to announce that breakfast was ready. I sigh, and move to get up. Nev holds on to me so I can't move. I look at him questioningly. He pulls the blanket covering us back a little and looks down. I follow his eyes and realize we are both still naked. My eyes dart to Jamie, but he is already back in the kitchen.

"Neither one will come back out here, you're safe to get dressed." He says, and moves to et his own clothes. Keeping the blanket wrapped around me, I search for my clothing. Finding all the items, I put them on under the blanket. I look up just in time see Nev pull his pants over his bare butt. Holy hell. My mouth immediately starts drooling, and I have to actually wipe saliva away from the corner of my mouth. Ducking my head before i get caught, i quickly get dressed. Satisfied that everything is in its proper place, release the blanket. I fold it and put it on the back of the couch.

Nev watches patiently, then takes my hand and leads me to the kitchen, his thumb forming small circles on the back of my hand. I reach up and rub the sleep crud from the corner of my eyes as we go. We enter the bright light of the kitchen, and I wince slightly. Nev notices and gives me a little look.

"I feel like I have a hangover." I admit. "My head hurts and I'm a little light sensitive." I tell him, squinting my eyes to block some of the harsh light. After a few seconds, the lights were dimmed. I look at JJ at the light switch and give him an appreciating look. "I don't understand why, though. I didn't drink last night."

"That can be a kind of side effect of dream walking with someone you aren't mated, or going to be mated, to." Jamie answers. "It's wrong to do, so it has a bad effect. Believe me, Dalton is feeling it, too. Speaking of which," he begins and looks at the other two, "we need to get down to the station. We need to have a serious discussion with him." The way he said 'discussion' made me think that it wouldn't be much of a discussion at all, and more of a threatening.

I look at JJ and Nev, and they all share a look that has me thinking my assumption was correct. I'm not going to get on them about having an internal discussion, I have a feeling I don't want to know anyway.

"Is there coffee?" I ask, breaking their conversation. Their looks break, and Jj moves to the pot and pours me a cup.

"How do you take it?"

"Just a little cream, please." He reaches into the fridge and extracts a small carton of creamer. He opens it and starts pouring. He cocks and eyebrow and I have to hold back a smirk. "That's good." He hands the cup to me, with a spoon. I stir it a little and take a tentative sip due to the heat. I notice the spread of food on the table and take a seat. I scoot the chair a little closer. All of a sudden a plate appears in front of me. It's loaded with sausage, fluffy eggs with cheese, and an English muffin dripping with butter. My mouths waters, and I pick up my fork and dig in.

We eat in companionable silence, each of us lost in our own thoughts. For myself, I'm trying to decide how I got so lucky to fall in with this group. After all day yesterday, and last night, it's clear to me that I fit right in. It feels so fast, but everything feels right. They already have their hooks in me, and I don't think I want to release them. I look around the table, and just take each of them in. A sudden feeling flows through me, but I can't quite identify it. I'm sure I'll figure it out in time. Apparently we'll have a lot of it, so I'm not in a hurry to figure it all out.