Chapter 5

After talking with Bill, he said the alarm company should have contacted him, too. He is going to call today to see why they didn't. He reassured me I did everything I could, and he will not hold it against me for the soda cooler. He did say that he would be taking me target shooting, that the simple instructions he gave me wasn't enough.

I get myself ready for bed, making sure everything is locked up, and tuck myself in. I just can't get to sleep. I toss and turn all night long, imaged of his beady eyes haunting me. My brain decided to show me all the horrible things that could have gone wrong, and all the horrible things he could have done to me. Stupid brain.

I finally give up trying to get any rest around five-thirty. I sigh and roll out of bed. I take off my sleep clothes, and start the shower, waiting for it to be just right before getting in. I let the hot water run over my head and down my body. Before too long my body starts to relax. I grab the shampoo and wash my hair, then apply conditioner. While it does it's job, I grab my loofah and apply body wash. I wash my body, then rinse off. I wash the conditioner out of my hair. I then shave. After rinsing out my loofah and razer, I turn the water off and grab a towel.

While I'm drying off, my mind wanders to those three shifters. I need to see if Sally can meet me later. I have so many questions. Just thinking about them send tingles through my body. I shake my head to rid myself of those thoughts. All of them are way out of my league. I don't have a chance at some hot shifter guy.

Finished drying, I grab underwear, a bra, and some clothes and get ready to start my day. It's only a quarter after six, way too early to text Sally, so I make myself some breakfast. I grab a book to read while I eat. I finish up the last of my eggs and toast, then wash the dishes. I grab my book and settle on the couch until there's a decent time to text Sally.

A couple of hours later I emerge from the land of Queen Elizabeth's reign. I look at the clock, and see it's no longer butt fuck early. I grab my phone and send Sally a text.

ME: Hey lady! You free for lunch today?

I only have a few minutes to wait before I get a response.

SALLY: I sure am. Want to meet at the diner around 12?

ME: Yeah. I'll see you then.

I piddle around my place for a while, cleaning things that don't really need cleaning. I decide to go for a walk to waste some more time. I grab my phone and keys and let myself out, making sure to lock the door behind me. I put all of it in my pants pockets and take off down the street.

I just wander around, glancing at all of the houses. It's just so beautiful here. I don't think I could have landed in a better place. I just walk for about forty-five minutes before I turn around and go back home. I'm about twenty minutes from home when my phone rings. I pull it out of my pocket and look at the caller ID. The number is local, but I don't recognize it, so I let it go to voicemail. After a minute or so, it chimes, alerting me there's a voicemail. I enter in the passkey and listen. It's from the officer that came to the station last night.

"Hello, Miss Mills, this is Officer Frank. I just wanted to let you know that we apprehended Mister Dalton, and he is currently in police custody pending an arraignment. I just wanted to let you know, so you could feel safe. I will call with any other updates. Have a nice day."

Relief washes over me as I hit delete. At least I don't have to worry about him. For now. I know we have video surveillance at the station, so I'm hoping it caught everything.

I finally reach back home. Just as I'm reaching for my keys, I hear a rustling noise from the side. My heart slams into my ribs. I slowly back away from the door and turn to where the sound came from. I sneak just my eyeballs around. I have put my keys between my fingers, so if I have to punch someone, it's going to hurt. I hear a soft growl, but when my head pokes around the corner, there's nothing there. My shoulders sag with relief. I turn back around and let myself into the house.