CHAPTER 6

I peel out of the parking lot, my heartbeat a hundred miles an hour. I barely manage to get my seatbelt on, my hands are shaking so badly. I need to pay attention to where I'm going before I crash my car.

I can't believe Sally told him I had a dream about him! I know she was teasing, but damn! I literally JUST met him. You don't JUST blurt shit like that out. I shake my head.

What was that back there anyway? It's like time literally stood still. I couldn't look away from him. I tried. My brain wouldn't listen. And what was up with how my body reacted to his touch? I need to let this go for a minute while I drive.

I pull up to the front of my house. I get out of the car and rush inside, slamming the door behind me. I lock it, then plop myself on the couch. Something tickles my face and I reach up to swipe it away. My hand comes away wet. I'm crying? I get up and grab some toilet paper from the bathroom and wipe at my face and eyes. Stupid tears. What the hell am I even crying? I'm not sad or pissed off.

I toss the tissue into the waste basket and go to the kitchen. I pour myself a shot of whiskey and slam it back. The burn down my throat grounds me somewhat. I pour another and slam that one back, too. I'm finally feeling a little more like myself. More in control of my body and emotions.

I try to get ready for work, but my mind keeps picturing a blue ocean. That's exactly what it felt like looking into JJ's eyes. Slipping away into the ocean, to be lost forever. Yeah, it's melodramatic, but that's exactly what it felt like.

I can't for the life of me figure out how I'm supposed to be the mate of someone like him. He's so far out of my league, compared to him, I don't even have an actual verifiable league.

I force the issue out of my mind. I need to get to work, and I can't have this weighing on my mind all night.

An hour later, I'm ready for work. I lock the door behind me and go to my car. I feel warmth on my skin, but it isn't from the non-existent sun. I pause and slowly turn to look behind me. Standing on the side of the house is a large wolf, his brown eyes shining. It isn't JJ. He has blue eyes, so who is this? I don't for a minute believe he isn't a shifter.

I take a step toward him, stretching my hand out like a would a strange dog. I approach slowly. He lowers the front half of his body, his tail end still sticking in the air. He wags his tail, making his hind end sway back and forth. I smile a little at the playful antics.

His tan coat is shiny and inviting. I tentatively touch his head, loving the feel of the soft fur under my fingers.

"I don't know who you are, but you've made my day. It's been a little rough today." My answer is a soft woof and a lick to the face. I laugh at the feel of his rough tongue across my face. "Gross! You glommed me! I have to go to work now, smelling like wolf." I give him one last scratch behind the ear and go get in my car and go to work.

***

I was nervous most of the night. My mind kept wandering to the night that Dalton guy was here. I was terrified there was going to be a repeat. I just kept reminding myself that Officer Frank said he was apprehended and that I was safe.

It was a repeat of the other night, shifter men coming in all night long, buy various things. It was rote by the time closing time came. Ring them up, tell them the price, get money, close out the transaction. I wish them all a good evening.

At closing, I lock the door. I clean everything up, count down the drawer, and make the deposit for Bill for the morning. I turn everything off and leave, locking the door behind me. As I make my way to my car, I feel that all too familiar warmth ghosting over me. I stop moving and turn around, spinning slowly in place. I come full circle and don't see anything. Not a man or beast. I don't feel threatened, so I shrug it off and get in my car to go home.

The drive was uneventful, but I felt that warmth the entire ride. I don't know what it is, but it's pleasant, so I'm not going to question it right now. When I reach home, I park the car in front and go in the house.

I drop everything right inside the door, not caring that I'm leaving a mess in my wake. I go to the kitchen and make myself a sandwich. I take the sandwich and sit on the couch, toeing my shoes off. I turn on the television. There's nothing but infomercials on, which doesn't bother me much, as I'm not even paying attention. I just turned it on for noise.

My mind wanders as I eat my sandwich. I don't know who the brown-eyed wolf was, but I felt a connection to him. I'm supposedly mated to JJ, according to Sally. I'm not mad at her anymore for what she said, but we are going to talk about her word vomit. I don't know anything about the shifter world, other than what Sally has told me so far, which really isn't a lot.

I've had most of the day to think about everything that's happened so far. I came to the conclusion that I should probably speak to an actual shifter about what's happening and what it means for me. Maybe I can talk to Sally's husband. I know it's late, but i grab my phone a shoot a text to Sally.

ME: I'm sorry for running earlier today. I was overloaded. The things I was feeling just being near JJ were overwhelming. And then you blurted out that I had a dream about him. I was embarrassed.

I hit send and toss my phone on the couch next to me. I don't bother getting ready for bed, or pulling the couch out. I lie down and pull a blanket over me, mindlessly watching some guy yell "But wait! There's more!" My eyes are drooping when my phone chimes.

UNKNOWN: Hello Skye. This is JJ. I got your number from Sally. Don't be mad at her. I wanted to reach out to you about what happened today. If you knew Sally at all you would know that she tends to just blurt things out. We have all been at the receiving end of her word vomit.

UNKNOWN: When you ran away, my wolf attempted to follow and it took every ounce of control I have to keep him from taking control. After talking with Sally after you left, I realized that you are very new to our world. I would like to get to know you better. May I take you out this weekend? I would like to show you around, and answer any questions you might have about shifters.

I finish reading the two texts. I go in and add him as a contact. Strangely enough, I'm not bothered Sally gave him my number. It's more of a relief, because I knew I would need to reach out to him at some point. I'm just glad he reached out first, saving me the trouble of working up the nerve to do it.

ME: I'm sorry for just taking off like that. Everything was very overwhelming. I felt like I couldn't even think. I would very much like for you to show me around and answer some questions for me. I'm free Sunday.

That'll give me three days to get my courage up to be near him

JJ: Fantastic! Is noon an OK time?

ME: Perfect.

JJ: OK. See you Sunday! :)

Whew. Glad that's over with. Now I just need to steel myself for Sunday. Three days. It seems like a lifetime, and not enough time all at once.