CHAPTER 9

A/N: This is a bit steamy. 

We sit like that for a little while longer before I pull back. I lift my eyes to his.

"I really don't know what to do about everything you told me." I admit to him. "Truthfully, it scares me a little bit, but I want to give it a try. You said the multiple mate thing was normal for your pack?"

"Completely normal. It's normal for a couple of other shifter species, too." He says, running his hands up and down my back.

"Okay." I say, coming to a quick decision. What the hell?

"Okay? You mean you'll give it a shot?" He asks, getting excited.

"Yes, I'll give it a shot. I mean, what do I have to lose?" I respond with a shrug.

"You have nothing to lose, Skye. You only have everything to gain. You have three hearts that want nothing more than to be with you, protect you, and make a life with you. I know this seems so sudden, and it is, but to be honest, that's how things work in the shifter world. We just know. When the mate bond is felt, we just act on it because we know that's who we are supposed to be with." He takes a deep breath. "Because we know that you are new to all of this, we are more than willing to take our time getting to know you, and for you to get to know us."

"I appreciate that more than you know. I've only ever been in one serious relationship, and it wasn't a healthy one." I tell him, my mind wandering back to my time with Jared. How it all started out great. Then I moved in with him and everything just went downhill from there. I think about the night I left him, and the fear that he will find me, despite me being in such a remote place.

"What are you scared of right now?" JJ asks, a serious look on his face. His eyes are starting to glow. I sigh.

"I was in a relationship with a guy. It started out great, but after I moved in with him, he started getting abusive. It started off small, mostly mental stuff. Telling me I'm not good enough, or a lazy lay. It escalated to physical, sometimes so bad I couldn't leave the house, in case someone saw." I can see his anger swell, the more I talked. I reached up and stroked the side of his face. the anger eased. Somewhat.

"The last straw was the night he broke my arm in a drunken fit. I waited until he passed out, stole all the money he had hidden away, and drove myself to the emergency room. I told them I fell. They set the bone, put a cast on my arm, and I was out of there. I drove until my money ran out. The reason I'm so scared, is because I'm worried he will somehow manage to hunt me down." Embarrassment floods through me, as I stare at his chest. He slowly lifts my chin with a single finger.

"Skye, look at me." My eyes lift to his face. There is still anger there, but something else is mixed in. It takes a couple of seconds to realize what it is. Pride. "I am so pissed off right now for what he put you through, but damn proud of you for leaving. If you hadn't we would never have met you. You're exactly where you're supposed to be. And don't worry, if he does show up here, he will never get to you. I assure you, if he ever shows his face here, he will have three very pissed off wolf shifters he will have to deal with."

I shiver at his heartfelt words, as I stare into his eyes, the wolf having disappeared back inside. I lean forward and press a soft kiss against his lips, then lean my forehead against his.

"Thank you. The last thing I wanted was pity, and you didn't have any. I really appreciate it." I lean forward and kiss him again, intending to keep it light. He apparently had no such intentions,as he tightened his grip around my back, pulling me closer to him. His tongue strokes against my lips demanding entrance. I am all too happy to comply.

When his tongue hits mine, I can feel him inside my heart, the intense desire threatening to overwhelm me. I let it, relishing in the feelings flowing through me. I kiss him back with everything I have, our tongues dueling with each other. I adjust myself, and the hard length of him hits just the right spot. I grind against him, which sends delicious heat throughout my body. I wrap my hands around his neck and dig my fingers in his hair.