SHIFTER

JJ

I can't believe she just let go like that. It was beautiful and amazing, and the feelings she instilled in me in that moment cemented her to me for life.

When we got back to the barn, she tried to keep the fact that she couldn't get off her horse to herself, but I was ready for her. I was there quickly to catch her as she attempted to slide down the side of the horse. The feel of her sliding down the front of my body nearly had me turning her quickly and staking my claim, but I managed to keep myself in control. Despite what had occurred between us, I am fully aware that she isn't ready for more.

During our encounter, I could feel Jamie and Nev through our bond. Between them, and Skye, the desire whirling through me was almost overwhelming. My wolf's need to make sure our mate was satisfied was the only thing keeping me grounded.

Once her feet hit the ground, I pick her up bridal style, and deposit her on a bench and tell her I will take care of the horses. She gives me a grateful look and settles into a comfortable position.

I quickly take care of the horses, putting all the tack away where it's supposed to go. I brush both of them out, smoothing their coats to a shine. I softly nuzzle each one before giving them a pat on the rear end to get them out with the rest of the horses.

"Can you stand yet?" I ask Skye as I approach her. She blushes slightly, and I can feel her mild embarrassment rolling off her. I don't acknowledge it. She stands, legs still a little shaky. I reach out a hand and she places her small one in mine. I tuck her hand into the crook of my elbow and place my other hand over the top of hers. I start off slow, making sure her legs will support her while she walks. She seems to be doing fine, so i widen my stride a little bit, but not so much that she can't keep up. As we pass by the picnic basket, I lean down and snatch it up, never breaking my stride.

When we reach the car, I open the door for her and help her to sit. When she's settled, and buckling her seatbelt, I close the door and put the basket in the trunk, then get in my side. I glance over at Skye. She looks at me with a weary expression on her face. I reach a hand out and cup her cheek.

"Tired?" I ask her simply. She nods her head.

"Yeah, I am. Between the horseback riding I've never done, and our..." she hedges a second, "extracurricular activities, I'm wiped."

"Understandable." I say. I take my hand back and start the car. Earlier, she went on and on about how this was her dream car, and about feeling like she was riding in "Baby." I have no idea what she was talking about, but with as excited as she was, I'm going to find out. I want to be to share something with her.

We're on the road less than four minutes and she's sound asleep. I can't help but look at her as she slumbers. She stunning awake, but there's an innocence about her when she's sleeping. I think back to what she told me about her ex, and I feel a wealth of fury rise up in me. I can feel Jamie and Nev getting worked as well. They don't know why my wolf and I are angry, but them and their wolves are ready to help destroy whatever it is that's causing it. I force myself to calm down when I notice Skye stirring next to me, no doubt feeling the anger through the bond. My wolf only wants to end her ex. He is only mollified by my promise to find him and take care of him.

In too short of time, I pull up in front of Skye's place. I put the car in park and turn the ignition off. The lack of noise wakes her. She slowly lifts her head away from the window, where it had been resting. She wipes her eyes, then runs a hand down her face.

"I can't believe I feel asleep. That's so embarrassing." She says, her voice husky with sleep. She looks at me with a sheepish grin.

"Don't apologize. You were very obviously tired. Why don't you go inside and finish your much needed nap?" I suggest. I get out and open her door, and assist her out. I hold her hand as we walk to her door. "I had a really good time today." I tell her when we reach her door.