Chapter Five: Breaking the news

Shock is a word tossed around these days. Call me a drama queen, or maybe OCD if you will, but this was so not okay. The phone operator explained something about “blocked roads” and “lots of calls” and “plenty of resources yourself” yadda, yadda, yadda, but what she was truly saying was “Your not important, deal with it yourself.”

Explaining to Lucas was a whole other ordeal.

“Are you kidding me?” he exclaimed, pacing back and forth outside the window. My mind briefly flashed to this lion I saw once at the zoo, who had paced outside the viewing window looking incredibly angry. He had the same colored mane as Lucas’s hair. The similarity was actually quite incredible. The zoo speakers said it was the result of the stress the lion was having, and I remembered thinking how self-pitying the lion had been. I mean, he got fed three free meals a day! Most animals would kill (literally) for that kind of treatment!

But now was a completely different story. Part of me felt almost as bad for Lucas as I did for myself. Almost.

“I don’t understand it either, Lucas, but I guess we’ll just have to make the best of a bad situation,” I said. Lucas rolled his eyes.

“Yeah right. We’ll probably starve to death, or kill each other before we get out of here,” he yelled. He raced forward and kicked a trash can to the floor, papers spilling out throughout the hallway and rolling down the nearby staircase.

“Lucas, this isn’t Lord of the Flies! Calm down,” I yelled back. He continued his frenzied pacing, hands going up to his head to yank at his shaggy hair. I tapped my foot in the corner, holding my cell phone against the crook of my elbow.

“No, I won’t calm down. I had things to do tonight!” he cried.

Not the right thing to say buddy.

My calm composure, which was a façade honestly, crumbled away instantly. I felt my heart quicken under my Dr. Who t-shirt and I squeezed my cell phone with white knuckles.

You had things to do tonight?” I yelled incredulously “Oh please! The only thing you had to do tonight was get through the next level of Halo! I don’t only have a thousand things to do today, but tomorrow, the day after that-hell, the rest of my life! You have no clue what it’s like to be busy, so shut up and suck it up.” Lucas detoured his pacing, striding up to me and stopping about a foot away.

“Who are you to talk? This is all your fault anyways!”

“My fault?”

“Yeah, you could have just sucked it up and went to get your damn purse yourself.”

“This coming from the guy who stole my purse and wouldn’t let me-”

“I was just trying to have a little fun, it’s your fault for being a-”

“Hey don’t cut me off!”

“Don’t you cut me off!”

“God, way to be immature, butt hole.”

“Butt hole? Did you seriously just call me a butt hole?”

“Yes, I did. Was that language too sophisticated for you?”

“Oh, just leave me alone Miss Perfect. Obviously your too good for my presence.”

“In fact, your correct. Catch you later!”

And with that, I stormed off. I didn’t really care where I was going, but somehow my combat boots led me to the teacher’s lounge. Without hesitation, I pushed open the door for the second time that day, stumbling in and locking the door behind me.

It wasn’t until I was sitting on the floor, leaning against the door that I let the first tears roll down my cheeks.

A/N: Hey guys! Just a quick update this week. Between dance lessons and AP tests, I have been busy beyond belief! I hope you guys like it, please leave some feedback, and it wouldn't kill you to press that little vote button, would it? Thanks!