Chapter Twenty-Two: RIP

“Damn,” I muttered pressing madly at the buttons on my phone “Damn damn damn! Oh, screw my life.”

It was now that I had the burden of bearing the worst news in history. My phone had passed away. It’s lifeless body sat in my hands, and I could feel tears pricking at the back of my eyes. RIP phoney. You shall be missed greatly.

The worst part was that people die in sets of three, and I was pretty sure I would be death number two once my mother got through with me.

“What happened?” asked Lucas. He was sitting close to me at the kitchen counter, eating a sandwhich. Being the wonderful housewife I am, I lovingly commanded Lucas to make me a sandwich. While he was “cooking” I decided to call my mother and that was when I discovered the poor soul lost with no chance of rehabilitation via charger.

“My phone’s dead. Can I borrow--”

“Mine died too. Sorry babe,” said Lucas. He took a bite of his sandwhich, chewing thoughtfully and giving me a weird look. I paid little heed, though, seeing as I was trying to get over Lucas’s use of the word “babe.”

Oh yeah. My phone.

“Fu-”

“Hey, hey, no need to use language here. What about a landline?” asked Lucas. I rolled my eyes.

Babe, the landline needs power,” I said “We don’t have power.” I spoke to him as if he was an imbecile, which he was --an imbecile who was a good kisser, yes, but none the less an imbecile.

“I know that. But what about wireless phones? They hold a charge for a while,” said Lucas.

“Oh…. Yeah I guess you’re right,” I said, ignoring the blush spreading up my face. One nice thing about the dark is it conceals a blush.

“I’m always right,” bragged Lucas. Now I scoffed, making my way out the door with Lucas on my heels.

“Okay, you just keep telling yourself that,” I said. We made our way into the dark, the hairs on the back of my neck standing up from either the cold or the fact I felt like I was the star of some horror movie. Lucas being there helped a little, and I could see the light coming in down the hallway from the small window, but it was still quite creepy. Lucas suggested we stop at the office first, which unfortunately involved going down stairs. I don’t like stairs. I try to avoid them. After only tripping about six times, I limped up to the office doors with Lucas chuckling behind me.

“You go first,” I said, nudging him foreward with my elbow. He rolled his eyes, navy blue in the dark today.

“What, are you scared?” he asked with a tone in his voice. I slapped his arm lightly.

“Yes!” I admitted “So open the damn door already!” With another one of his famous chuckles, Lucas reached out for the door, only to be stopped by a loud clatter down the hallway. And being the star of this horror movie, I did what any other heroic lead would do.

I screamed.

A/N-- I'm so sorry for being MIA the past few days! Play rehersals are intense, so I haven't had any time to write. Happy 4th of July! Well, I guess this only applies to the American readers I have. Happy You-Got-Rid-of-America day to the Brits! :3 Haha, I'm just kidding. So I hope you guys like the new chapter, I've got an awesome idea for the next! Remember to vote and comment. I love you all.