Chapter 2: A New Plan

ONE MONTH LATER

Maverick kneaded the dough without thought, going through the motions as he had for almost thirty days. Across the counter, Gwen swept the back of her hand across her brow, leaving a trail of flour behind. 

"How's the dough comin'?" she asked in a thick Dellsbian brogue she'd adopted to hide her natural accent. "We need six more loaves of the oat bread." 

"It's comin'," Maverick replied in the same manner. "Mum,  how're the scones?"

"They'll be fine if you let me alone," Finny replied, her brows knit as she struggled in the corner. The ruse had been her idea--find a place to hide in plain sight--though Gwen's suggestion wasn't working out for the Ancient, a creature who never needed to worry about food before. 

Lieutenant Port, the man from the Army who helped them escape, swept the front of the little bakery. He didn't seem to have much talent for food either. They'd stopped in the first little village outside of Osha, set up shop, and were now within Helena's reach without her ever knowing.

"Jasper?" Port said, using Maverick's disguised name. "Mildred, were either of you expecting anyone before we open?" 

Maverick paused, eyes darting up. "No. Why?"

"There's a man outside. A very large man." Port cast a wary glance around the room. "Even if we don't open the door, I doubt he'll have any trouble getting in."

"Open it," Finny said with a wave of her hand. "He's no threat to us." 

"He is if he talks," Gwen muttered, adjusting her head wrap. All of them had found ways to hide their appearance. Gwen covered her auburn locks by twisting them up in a white bandana each day. Maverick had grown a beard and cut his hair so short it looked like it could either be blond or red. Port, who already had a beard, grew his out long and bushy, obscuring his face.

"Honestly, it's like you don't trust me." Finny abandoned the scones and marched to the door, throwing it open. "You don't think I could sense danger if it was danger? Come in."

A hulking blond man with long, curly hair stepped inside. He glanced around at them all, beaming. "You have no idea how hard it was to find you." 

"Youlden!" Maverick ditched the dough, rounding the counter to embrace his friend. "Where have you been? What's been happening? How'd you find us?"

"One question at a time, my boy," Port said, patting Maverick on the back. It was strange, how easily Port took to him and Gwen, and they to him. He reminded Maverick of someone his father would have liked. 

"I've been in Osha. I stayed around long enough to make Helena think I didn't know what had happened to you and then offered to go looking. Helena thinks you've been captured by Bainon."

"They haven't found him, either?" Port asked, leaning on his broom.

"No. Eric's missing too. They're also looking for him, but no luck." 

"And Noelle and Roman?" Maverick asked. "Are they safe?"

Youlden hesitated. "I don't know where Noelle is. If I had to guess, I would say Aundreya has her locked up somewhere. There are rumors of a prisoner that isn't Army down in the dungeons."

"We saw Aundreya with Noelle before we ran," Gwen said, her expression twisted in concern. "At least she isn't dead."

"And Roman?" Finny asked, gaze narrowed. "Where's our dear long-haired friend?"

Youlden didn't meet their eyes. "He's playing the part of the king."

"What?" Maverick and Port said together.