Chapter 43: Wrap That Sucker Up

Technically we only got to your next five because @CestMaPetiteVie signed up twice...but I'm counting it ;) Here's the end!

*THREE MONTHS LATER*

Cleaning up Helena's mess--and Narissa's mess for that matter--would take time. Maverick, Bainon, and Gwen met with the governors already in Osha in the infirmary, and invitations were sent out to those who hadn't made it.

They created a city council for Osha out of the governors already there--men and women who would listen to the needs of the people and meet with Maverick once a month to discuss issues. Those from outlying cities were also invited to bi-monthly meetings, depending on how easy the ride to Osha would be. For the westernmost towns, Maverick, Gwen, and Bainon would make a trip twice a year to meet with the governors in a central location.

Accompanied by their Guardians, of course.

As for the Militia soldiers, Phoenix and Eric--with the help of Selene--interviewed them each one at a time, interrogating them. Most had joined the Militia out of the disillusion with Narissa, and hadn't been loyal to Helena, but to Maverick and Gwen. Under Aundreya's control, they'd done what they were told.

A few, like Mygel, were still hells-bent on seeing the Tremaines destroyed. They were given the option to swear fealty but refused. Maverick didn't want to begin his reign with executions, but Eric wouldn't allow the traitors to live in Braskey.

They were given the option of banishment--with provision--through the safest part of Fangralee forest. It wasn't saying much. Even the safest parts of Fangralee offered terrible dangers, but if they could reach Opea or Dellsby, they were welcome to start a new life.

It would be a long road, Phoenix knew, but seeing how far they'd come, from the children in Treywick who thought the world was black and white to adults who knew better, she felt the promise of hope.

On a sunny day in the middle of summer, Phoenix found her odd little family gathered around the table for lunch. Maverick and Noelle sat at the head and right hand of the table, hand in hand while discussing wedding plans with Gwen--she insisted on making the desserts. Roman chased Trey around the room while Audra watched.

Altair and Castor hadn't returned since the day Helix was defeated. Three months, and no word. Audra didn't show any concern, calm for the first time in her life. Her son was safe, and she'd been accepted into castle life without any pushback.

Eric sat on Maverick's left, bouncing Reed on his knee. The talks between Mr. Trusoe and Eric had been both bad and good. With their daughter gone, the Trusoes weren't eager to release their grandson into his father's hands. After all, as Mr. Trusoe continually pointed out, Eric had abandoned her.

Nothing Phoenix had said in mediation changed his opinion. It wasn't until Audra brought Trey by that the Trusoes softened. They'd cared for Trey when Abigail returned and hadn't seen him since the Militia coup. He told them of what Eric did, how he'd saved them all by destroying Helena. He also told them how Abigail felt about Eric--something he'd sensed in her presence. Audra confirmed it.

It wasn't enough to mend the bridge entirely, but it was a start. The Trusoes kept Reed two days a week and watched him when Eric was fulfilling his duties as the Commander of Maverick's new Army. The adults had stilted conversations during exchanges, but Reed was happy and cared for.

He let out a shrieking giggle and grabbed a tight hold of Eric, who boosted him up into a hug. Phoenix joined him, sitting down and making faces at Reed.

"You're doing a good job, you know," Phoenix said, elbowing Eric. "You're a good father for not really having one of your own. Now you have a family."