Chapter 12: Triggering the Forgotten

"Audra," Phoenix repeated, frowning up at him. "I'm sorry."

"Me too." Altair flashed a brief smile. "But dwelling on things past doesn't solve our current problem."

"Which is..." Phoenix began, wondering which of the many problems they faced could be considered most "current." 

"We need to catch up the Ares and the heirs. But you have no motivation to do that."

Phoenix jerked back in offense and stalked off across the little room, the wooden floorboards creaking beneath her quick steps. "I'm plenty motivated. Just because I'm chasing phantoms with no space in my memory and no clear action from you on why we're doing this--"

"I've told you why. You have to defeat the traitor. You have to stop the Militia. You need Ares to do that."

"Why? What good is combining the two of us? Tepid water? I'm fire and he's ice - we cancel each other out."

"No. You compliment each other. That's how it always is. We come in pairs - even the Ancients. We balance out each other's powers so no one can become too strong. Pairs work in tandem. Fire and ice. Light and dark. Night and Day..." he trailed off, his eyes going out of focus.

"What? What is it?" Phoenix waved a hand in front of his face.

"Night and day." 

"Right. Opposites. You were saying." 

"No. I wasn't enough to trigger your memory. You don't remember me from before."

Phoenix patted him on the arm, hoping she was comforting. "You're really very vaguely familiar."

"But I'm not enough. Of course, I'm not enough. Yes, I've watched over you your whole life and spoken to you on thousands of occasions, but I've always been a bit of a phantom in your head. You need something concrete. Ares would do it, I'm sure. Ares or Maverick could trigger a memory of themselves, but without them here....yes. It must be tested."

"Please consider making sense at some point," Phoenix said, crossing to the bed and dropping down with a plop as she folded her arms. 

In response, Altair closed his eyes and spread his hands before him. "Selene, Elyo, hear my call. Come to me."

A searing light filled the room, and Phoenix threw up her hands to block it. When it dulled she squinted between her fingers, eyes widening at the sight of two glorious, glowing beings standing facing Altair. Where she sat outside their peripheral, she could observe them without being seen.

The woman was tall, pale, and sharp - fierce in her stance and expression as she glowered at Altair. Her silver hair braided into a crown around her head, and her black dress looked like the night sky itself, dotted with silver stars. 

"What right do you have to call us?" she hissed, stepping within an inch of Altair and pointing a finger into his face. "How dare you summon us after what you did. You were supposed to be watching over her - and where is she now? Ashes. Her blood is on your hands."

"Selene." Elyo placed a hand on her arm, calming her with just a word. His face, however, was like stone, immovable and intimidating, his eyes blazing. The hand at his side clenched in a fist, and Phoenix felt sudden fear for Altair.

"I ought to end you right now," Selene said, her teeth bared, her eyes filling with tears. "If I didn't know the consequences, I would."

"It's only Adonai's ruling that keeps you standing here," Elyo said, his voice deep. "But even that may not be enough. You spent all your time looking for a traitor, only to betray us all."