Chapter 29: Into the Lion's Den

The sun took its sweet time to set, and Phoenix mentally made note to have a word with Elyo about such things in the future. Led by Eric, the three of them walked with casual indifference around the side of the castle.

"The key is to look like you belong," Eric had told them, and he had no trouble executing it, walking with a confident air Phoenix tried to match, even while shrouded by his cloak.

They rounded the side, sneaking through a hole in the castle gate that could only be found by pushing the right stone. Eric led them through the hole, onto the castle grounds. This, Phoenix knew, meant time was of the essence. They needed to get by Militia guards without being seen--if they were caught, they would likely be executed by their own friends.

Eric crouched down low, scampering toward the black stone castle like a cat. He moved with soundless grace with Phoenix and Maverick lumbering after him, doing their best to keep up. The constant worry of being caught pounded like a drum in her ears. It seemed Eric was leading them around the back of the castle, but as they rounded the final corner, they were nearly spotted by two guards on patrol.

Maverick, being at the back, grabbed both Eric and Phoenix by the scruff of their tunics and dragged them back with ease, stuffing them into a bush as he dropped to the ground, flat on his face with his cloak covering his body. With only their lantern, the guards walked right by, their conversation uninterrupted.

"...said he wouldn't do it."

"You can't be serious."

"I heard it myself. He threw a chair and refused."

"What happened?"

"Lady Aundreya calmed him down. She said he'd always wanted to be king, and even though it was stressful, he couldn't let his frustration get in the way of his dreams."

"And King Roman calmed down just like that?"

"It took a bit, but eventually he agreed with her. He kept on saying he never asked for this and it wasn't what he wanted."

The second guard made a noise in the back of his throat. "Come to think of it, didn't we come to Osha with a different king? A Tremaine?"

"That's right." The first guard smacked the second. "Mm-Maverick. Right? Wonder what happened to him."

"Maybe he died?"

"Maybe. I always liked him. That'd be a bummer."

They walked on, disappearing along the wall while Phoenix crouched by Eric, her eyes wide.

"Roman's fighting," she whispered. "Hard, it sounds like."

"And they haven't all forgotten Maverick--which is good."

"Are we crazy to think we can get them out of here?" she asked, voicing her worst fear. "What if we're caught? Trey needs us."

"I've been thinking about that." Maverick's voice just behind her made Phoenix jump. "If we can't reach them, I have a backup plan until the troops arrive."

"Which is?" Eric asked.

"We scare the hells out of them." Maverick shifted so he was on his knees behind the bush with them. "We do everything we can to make them uncomfortable."

"How?"

"Eric freezes a few rooms, covering them in snow and ice--I'll break some things in a completely different part of the castle."

"And I'll burn the whole place down?" Phoenix asked, rolling her eyes.

"No. You're dead." A grin spread across Maverick's face. "You appear and disappear without ever fully being seen--in mirrored reflections, in dark hallways, while they're sleeping--anything to make them think they're seeing a ghost."

"That's potentially brilliant," Eric said, and Phoenix could hear the smile in his voice. "We might even be able to get them away from Noelle and Roman because of it."

"Let's do it," Phoenix said. "Let's go."

They left their hiding place, Eric taking the lead again. This time, they ran unhindered to the middle of the castle wall, and at Eric's prompt, Phoenix lit a fireball. He counted by her light, seven up and six over, and then pressed into the wall. It shifted inward, revealing a narrow corridor.

"In. Quick."

They did as he asked, and Eric sealed the entrance shut behind them. The walls were too tight for Eric to pass them, barely enough room for them to face forward without their shoulders scraping the rough stone wall. The flame in Phoenix's hand only lit so far in front of them, and Eric had to direct her in whispers from behind Maverick.

They shuffled through, Maverick constantly stepping on Phoenix's heels while she tried to heed Eric's directions, turning left and right as bid. When she nearly fell up a stairway, Eric let out a whispered yelp of glee.

"This is it! This will get us up into the higher levels."

"And that's where we want to be?" Maverick asked.

"Well we know they aren't keeping the king in the dungeons," Phe said, climbing the stairs. "Although if he's really fighting back, I doubt he's allowed to roam. He'll be locked up somewhere."

"The tower, I'd bet," Eric said from behind. "It'd be the most difficult to escape, but still luxurious."

"Why would they care if he's somewhere nice?" Phoenix asked.

"Because it'll keep the lie of being king alive, even when he isn't with him. If they put him in a dungeon or a servant's room, he'd be hard pressed to believe he's king. Wait--there should be a door up here."

Phoenix stopped at a small landing where a wooden door stood covered in a layer of dust.

"How is this a secret?" she whispered. "It's a door. Kind of obvious."

"You haven't seen the other side. Here." Eric sidled past Maverick and gave the door a hearty tug. It creaked open, causing them all to freeze. When they heard nothing, Eric pulled again, and by her light, Phoenix saw the other side blocked by a thick, red fabric. "It's a tapestry. And the door looks like the rest of the wall."

"What level is this?" Maverick asked.

"Third. I'm going to go out here. It'll be the most crowded. Mav, take the next door up and wreak havoc. Phe--"

"I'll bounce around and see if I can find anyone to spook," Phoenix said with a grin.

"Aundreya and Helena are likely in the queen's rooms or the king's quarters--highest level apart from the tower. They could be in other rooms up there, but I'd guess they take the best."

"What happens if she runs into the Ancient?" Maverick asked, casting a worried glance at her.

"I'll run like hells and scream for you two to come get me," Phoenix said, her heart beating a bit faster. "I'm not taking that one on alone."

"Everyone just be smart," Eric said, his gaze steely. "Don't do anything stupid, and if you find Roman or Noelle, come back to here and wait for the other two."

"How will we know when to come back?" Maverick asked.

Eric placed a hand to the pendant on his neck. Phoenix felt hers heat up against her skin. "Whoa."

"What?" Maverick asked, turning to look at her.

"Here." Eric undid the clasp and handed his to Maverick. "You two use these. I know my way around the castle. Be back in an hour. The first one to get here, touch the necklace to alert the other. I'll be back shortly after."

"I can't take this," Maverick said, staring down at it.

"You can and will. It'll help keep you safe. You're the king, remember? We need to make sure you're secure. We really shouldn't have let you come. Now go. I'll see you in an hour."

With that, Eric slipped out the door. Phoenix had a sudden, horrible fear that she'd never see him again.

We are IN THE CASTLE PEOPLE. Now we're splitting up, which means we need to see all three of their POVs as they cause mayhem.

Do you think they'll get caught? Who do you think they'll run into? Who will find the twins, Roman, or Helena? Think the Ancient is there?

PREDICT NOW!